F350 diesel service

F

Frank James

What should I look for when shopping for a 1999 to 2002 F350 automatic turbo diesel? What costly maintenance items can I expect and at what mileage do they kick in (i.e. timing belt, injection pump, transmission, turbo, etc)? I was an auto tech years ago and know the basics, I just do not know the particulars for this model. These trucks are often used for construction and are driven hard. Thanks for your help.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Good luck trying to find one in good enough shape to be worthwhile. The people that buy these buggers don't let go of them unless they are getting to expensive (need too much work) to keep. If you can find a good one, sigh, make sure you put in a pressure switch on the fuel line between the transfer pump and injection pump. By the time you find this pump is no longer working it will be too late for the injection pump to survive. The rest is pretty much maintenance, oil changes, fluid changes and pay attention to the filters. Good Luck with the search, Transman

Transman said:
Good luck trying to find one in good enough shape to be worthwhile. The people that buy these buggers don't let go of them unless they are getting to expensive (need too much work) to keep. If you can find a good one, sigh, make sure you put in a pressure switch on the fuel line between the transfer pump and injection pump. By the time you find this pump is no longer working it will be too late for the injection pump to survive. The rest is pretty much maintenance, oil changes, fluid changes and pay attention to the filters. Good Luck with the search, Transman
""make sure you put in a pressure switch on the fuel line between the transfer pump and injection pump. By the time you find this pump is no longer working it will be too late for the injection pump to survive""
This is true for a dodge with the cummins, not a ford. The ford/navistar use a hydraulic pump to activate the injectors, the lift pump is electric. The best years are 1999 late serie to 2002 (the 7.3L powerstroke), stay away from the (6.0L powerstroke came out 2003). They got good tranny= 4R100, knowed to blow the seal on the hydraulic pressure regulator & the cam sensor, but easy to service. I got one with over 200K & if need to replace will be looking for same.
wrench

Frank, no timing belt or injection pump on the Ford diesel to worry about. I recommend staying away from the 6.0. The 7.3 is a fine engine. Probably the most common expensive issue you could come across would be injectors. It does have a high pressure oil pump that could fail, but not bad to replace, and not a very common failure. Of course this engine still has glow plugs, but again not a big deal. I know guys running these engines with over 350,000 miles on them.

The transmission is a whole other story. That I will leave to Transman.

metricwrench said:
""make sure you put in a pressure switch on the fuel line between the transfer pump and injection pump. By the time you find this pump is no longer working it will be too late for the injection pump to survive""
This is true for a dodge with the cummins, not a ford. The ford/navistar use a hydraulic pump to activate the injectors, the lift pump is electric. The best years are 1999 late serie to 2002 (the 7.3L powerstroke), stay away from the (6.0L powerstroke came out 2003). They got good tranny=torqueshift, knowed to blow the seal on the hydraulic pressure regulator & the cam sensor, but easy to service. I got one with over 200K & if need to replace will be looking for same.
wrench
Wrench you beat me to the post button, :)
Transman just worked on a bigger Ford with a Cummins, so that was fresh in his mind.

MikeM said:
Wrench you beat me to the post button, :)
Transman just worked on a bigger Ford with a Cummins, so that was fresh in his mind.
I didnt mean to beat you at the finish line,, I am juste waiting for my "sunday morning "crepe & maple sirop" to be ready to go down in my stomact. Sorry don't want twist arm,LOL.
wrench

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
LOL, That one will be fresh in my mind for a long long time! He is still going to have to hunt big time, they just don't get on the market unless the owner is having big problems. Transman
P. S. The trannys seem to hold up pretty well with good care and feeding of the proper fluid, regular service. The horror stories are from the shops that can't get the upgrades in there properly.