DJM1972

Make
Ford
Model
Ranger
Year
Miles
Engine
I just started noticing this in the last week.
I only drive a coulple miles back and forth to work. But yesterday we drove about 60 miles round trip. And every time I came to a stop and the truck would idle down. The oil gauge would go nutts. Its never done this before.
I may be the culprit. Cheap Rual King oil. And I don't even remember what kind of oil filter I used.
My take on this is not enough oil pressure when it idles down. Could it be faulty oil pump. Or a clogged oil filter.
I think I'm going to try an oil & oil filter change 1st and see what happens.

14000 miles really?
Short drives, cheap oil, old engine, take a look at oil don't ASSUME its full.

I am thinking something is causing the poor idle and the low idle is causing the pressure issue - do your STEP 1 and Add a bottle of ' risolone' oil treatment a detergent. You can leave this in for a while as it cleans.

Next lets look at IAC , BUT before guessing -when at the store for oil filter and RISOLONE have them do a FREE scan, we don't know till we look. Did I mention FREE, fast and easy.... yes even if CEL is off.

If the oil is not low and the engine sounds good at hot idle, I would suspect sending unit is bad. Some might advise to test oil pressure, but that test would show high/ normal/ low, but probably not "goes nuts". "Goes nuts" is usually bad circuit in sender.

DJM1972

140000 miles sorry about that. There's no idle problem. At least not yet. I got it checked for codes. There were none. I've only seen it do this when the engine is at normal running tempeture and at idle.
"Bad circuit in sender" Where would that be located. I had a chilton for this turck but of course someone borrowed it and they live 30 miles away.

its in engine block, passenger side behind cyl head just before bellhousig..