Ford E450 Brake Lights

jd

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
MODEL:E450 RV Cutaway Chassis
YEAR:2007
MILES:66000
ENGINE:V10 6.8L
DESCRIBE ISSUE....No Stop Lights!

Chassis is under a Class C motorhome, the kind that looks like a U-Haul with Mom's Attic over the cab. Fuse 11 is marked Chassis Brake Lights, and Fuse 39 is marked Trailer Brake Lights. Both are good. It seems that the RV builders often connect their "House" navigation lights (Clearance, Stop, Tail, Turn) to "Trailer" instead of "Chassis." Some of the "Trailer" wiring also uses Relays, but the Owner Manual doesn't indicate that Trailer Brake Lights does.
There IS 12VDC into the Brake Light (pedal) Switch, and 12VDC out of it when the brake is applied.
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this aspect of the Ford Chassis? We'd like to get an understanding of how the thing's wired and if there's a relay before going into the Turn Signal Switch. That switch seems to be another fairly common point of failure in these Fords. THANKS!!!

jd

...do not hate me for having NO TIME to look it over....

No way, Brother! This is a big help. It confirms that the Brake Circuit (oddly) does not seem to use a Relay like Turn, Run, and Battery Charge seem to. The Owner's manual didn't show a Brake Relay either and that still seems odd. Other'n the Brake "Signal" has to somehow get to the same Stop/Turn bulb(s) so in that sense maybe Brake IS on a Relay (actually two).

One thing I already noticed is there seems to be an extra fuse that didn't come up in our search. I think it was #10, a 30A. Perhaps it feeds the fuses he found good, #11 and #39.

We'll get going on this and see where it leads.

As always, kev2, THANKS!!!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Many of these types also use the designation except stripped chassis.

This below provided ACE 0 pdf may help clarify. One must note the cutaway or modified versions of the circuit. Those are usually reserved for ambulances, RV's and such.

In regards to the absent brake relay, it seems to use the flasher relay in all cases to ground the multifunction switch for turn/stop signals.

I hope this answers this question
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this aspect of the Ford Chassis? We'd like to get an understanding of how the thing's wired and if there's a relay before going into the Turn Signal Switch. That switch seems to be another fairly common point of failure in these Fords. THANKS!!!

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hint, use the PDF above to follow the 'signal' path. All turn/stop signal ground through the brake light switch via a resistor after passing through pin 10 or pin 1 of the multifunction switch which is controlled by the electronic flasher module.

THE COMMON GROUND FOR ALL THIS IS G207 for stripped chassis. This can be confusing for all three chassis wirings.

Do you have stabilitrac on board?. That also is a different wiring.

Anyway, my pdf gave all the versions I would beleive.

Ok, I'm off to bed, the tundra is calling me and work tommorrow is going to be a big one. I have 4 down 4X4's to get either direct bypass and weld the shafts in full time time cuz the idiots that come from the south seem to not know how a $x$ works or just rent them the most expensive stuff we have and let thier insurance deal with them since they know how to drive in the north.

Yeah right. Can you all believe I replaced 5 axel shafts last week, and three of them were on 2015 models with less than 30k km's on them.

Just goes to show the yahoos from the south just don't understand that driving a 4x4 is totally different in artic climates than down in alabama or tenessee.

jd

Thanks for the information and the diagram! We understand it's a CutAway, not a Stripped, and it's not StabiliTrac. Lot of tracing. Let's see how it goes... Thanks again, and be warm, be safe up there!

jd

Found a damaged or tampered wiring harness under the hood. A light green wire was broken. Hard to tell if cut intentionally or snagged on something and broken. Spliced it and Brake Lights Work! Hopefully that'll be the end of it!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Might want to put some loomex or other added protection around that harness.

Happy you got her done.

On a funny note, a local electrician came by the shop today. I realize he is a house electrician, not a car enthusiast. But I asked him if he knew how to change or check a fuse. His was a E350 cargo van.

Short story long, he came to the shop with teeth clattering almost cutting carrots as we say up here.

Winter sure krept up early on us up here, the lakes are almost freezing over and october is not done yet.

So the electric motor was amping up and he only had a blown fuse. At the local restaurant, we sure gave him some grief. I tipped the lady at the counter to give him a hot chicken soup. I put some blown fuses and relays in there. We sure had a laugh. Especially when dessert came, it was a multimeter. Tonight, we are all going out for a few beers. Up north living is sure different, but pulls guy's together. What else are we going to do up here. I guess I will get mine soon enough.

It's all good, he did me a solid the other day and found me some resistors to bypass a passlock antitheft system.

I said off you go with a fuse, and a hammer. Your new heater fan is on order. Oh, and give me back my multimeter, seems I need it more than you.

;)

jd

I'm not at that coach, but the owner told me he'll protect that harness once he confirms it's OK.

Stop/Turn was always a little tricky with the way the turn signal switch opened the brake circuit when the signal was on. But NOW!!! Good grief! Electronics all over the place. E450 probably has more wiring than an F86 fighter jet.

Sounds like you're fitting in Way Up There, just fine.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Actualité JD,

I am amazed at the skidoos up here, they are almost OBD2, direct injection and and pre programmed keys to boot.!!!

I tried a 24 inch track, way different driving than a 16 inch.

Yeah, I guess I fit in. Just have to be tuff. Rough bunch. But we get the job done, and that is what we are paid for.

Sasquatch

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
MODEL:E450 RV Cutaway Chassis
YEAR:2007
MILES:66000
ENGINE:V10 6.8L
DESCRIBE ISSUE....No Stop Lights!

Chassis is under a Class C motorhome, the kind that looks like a U-Haul with Mom's Attic over the cab. Fuse 11 is marked Chassis Brake Lights, and Fuse 39 is marked Trailer Brake Lights. Both are good. It seems that the RV builders often connect their "House" navigation lights (Clearance, Stop, Tail, Turn) to "Trailer" instead of "Chassis." Some of the "Trailer" wiring also uses Relays, but the Owner Manual doesn't indicate that Trailer Brake Lights does.
There IS 12VDC into the Brake Light (pedal) Switch, and 12VDC out of it when the brake is applied.

Sasquatch

I have 12 VDC through the brake pedal switch yet no brake lights. someone said that the circuit goes through the emergency flasher switch located on steering wheel, they mentioned that switch does not get used much and possibly has corrosion. They also mentioned depressing the emergency flasher switch repeatedly may clear the contacts so as to pass power on to the tail lights, I tried this and yet still does not work, even cleaning with electrical spray cleaner did not work. Any ideas would be helpful.