Ford Freestar Transmission Defect?

pegd

Recently, as my daughter and I were traveling home from KY to MI, without warning of any sort the transmission in our Freestar took a total dump. It abruptly shifted into neutral and since then won't move either way. I've done some reading online trying to see if this happened to anyone else and have found quite a few references to this transmission going out on vehicles with relatively low mileage (mine being 62000+/-) in fact as low as 30k is not unheard of. All with no previous warning or symptoms. Some have been told it's just the torque converter needing to be replaced and others it's the entire transmission.

I found a TSB that I'm curious if anyone can tell me might be related to this issue? My dealership suggested I contact Ford Consumer Relations for possible help and I guess I'd like to be as well armed and informed as I can be when I speak with them. Another question I feel inclined to ask is if there is a recommendation for another transmission we can use as a replacement if Ford doesn't offer any help.. To use a rebuild of the same transmission that is known to fail with no warning like this seems a bit foolish. Any help would be most sincerely appreciated. Detailed Info Follows Below==

Thanks,
Peg

TSB:

4F2Z7000ABRM

Make: FORD
Model: FREESTAR
Year: 2004

Service Bulletin Number: 041512
NHTSA Item Number: 10011157
Summary Description:
4F50N TRANSAXLE NO 1-2 UPSHIFT AND

DIAGNOSITC TROUBLE CODE P0732. *TT

Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Peg, This tranny as well as most of the Ford transmissions have plenty of TSB's to go around. The nhtsa bulletins are bogus as far as repairs go and pretty useless in any court of law.
A word of advice in dealing with customer service. Don't ever say this will be your last ford because of this, once you do this then they have no reason to try to make you happy and won't, try not to throw lawyers into the mix unless it is a last resort. Talk to them nicely and politely. Keep going up the food chain as the one you are speaking to peters out. Sooner or later, with enough patience, you will get to someone who can and will help you. Do not lose your temper and keep going to the next supervisor. Good Luck and post your results, Transman

There are thousands of similar complaints. Go out and buy the book LEMON-AID 2007/2008 CARS AND MINI-VANS.

It cost 26. 95, but it gives you all the information you need to get your money back from FORD.

Good Luck!

We just lost the transmission on our 2004 Mercury Monterey MiniVan on Thursday (2/28/08). Under 39K guys, clean fluid, dealer changed fluid at 33K! No warning signs, wife calls stuck on shoulder of a highway cloverleaf with 1 year old baby in backseat- van will only rev, no gears drive. Dealer recommends a rebuilt transmission from Ford/Motorcraft with 3yr warranty due to heavy metal shavings in trans pan: $3500. Placed call into ford customer service - after two days delay (computer problems?) they said no assistance. Jasper Transmission from an independent shop is comparably priced with similar warranty. Probably stick with dealer.

Checked in August (8/2007) with NHTSA website - hardly any complaints on transmissions, now there is a rash of current failures, under Freestar or Monterey. Definitely will write one, for what it's worth.