Ford NG Scanner or Autoenginuity?

jay

Considering either the Ford NGS scanner or Autoenginuity for my shop. Any experiences with either? Will the AE allow any changes to the PATS system?
Anyone heard anything about the future support for the NGS being disconintued?
thanks

Hondadude

$.02 If you are an independent you might want to consider the OTC genisys, it can be updated forever, and OTC is working hard to provide OEM software.

autodr

Depends.... what do you value the most in a scan tool?

The NGS+ is expensive, out dated, support has narrowed to only support from Hickock... not Ford... but... the data PID update rate is lighing fast. You can catch glitches you'd miss with any aftermarket scan tool.

If you want a Ford OE tool... go with IDS or PDS.

IF you want as close to OE level for ford as you can get in an aftermarket tool... but still have something to offer other makes by adding on to it... go with the AE. But, data PID update rate will suffer, and the occational incorrect data... until the next update that fixes it.. will happen.

I have both AE and PDS,I carried PDS and AE home one weekend and did a comparison of the Evap self test features and was really suprised at the results.Ae performed the test flawless.From my understanding AE has PATS functions up to 2003 model year.Their new 5.0 operating system is due out very soon and suppose to be a lot better.The PDS is beyond too cool,I didn't think there was a better scanner than my Tech2 but PDS on a PPC is pretty amazing.Since I purchased PDS I don't use AE much on Fords anymore but for the price it is one smokin deal.Also with PDS/IDS you will get subscription for two years on DVD that will include flash calibrations from 96 to current for both Mazda and Ford. :)

jay

ronnie said:
I have both AE and PDS,I carried PDS and AE home one weekend and did a comparison of the Evap self test features and was really suprised at the results.Ae performed the test flawless.From my understanding AE has PATS functions up to 2003 model year.Their new 5.0 operating system is due out very soon and suppose to be a lot better.The PDS is beyond too cool,I didn't think there was a better scanner than my Tech2 but PDS on a PPC is pretty amazing.Since I purchased PDS I don't use AE much on Fords anymore but for the price it is one smokin deal.Also with PDS/IDS you will get subscription for two years on DVD that will include flash calibrations from 96 to current for both Mazda and Ford. :)
What is the difference between the PDS and IDS? Which has the most depth and bi-directional controls and system coverage?
Can AE get into PATS and reset key settings, Etc?

M

m.fannin

I think the PDS and the IDS is the same software except the PDS runs on the PPC ( Pocket PC) and the IDS runs on a lap top computer. They should both have the same bi-directional controls because they are both Fords OE tool. As for AE the web site says it does PATS programming on some vehicles. Hope this helps

Hi Jay.I was following a thread on IATN when it was mentioned that PATS is supported to 2003.Even though I have AE,it is not stand alone-- meaning I cannot launch it and watch functions without being connected to a vehicle.I will find this info out for you and get back.As far as the difference between IDS/PDS,PDS is run off of a PPC and IDS is run off of a laptop.I currently run PDS on a iPAQHP4700 PPC.// I have the installation disc for the IDS but it requires XP Pro service pack 2 to run it and my laptop is at 2000 Pro.It has not been a problem, but PDS will not do certain things that IDS will do.When you order PDS/IDS you will get a VCM,NGS+Cradle,two DLC cables and a DVD with installation for both PDS/IDS along with calibrations from 96 to present,if you order DVD version of the tool then you will have hard copy back-up similiar to a tech2.That will leave you with a PPC and cable to buy to complete the package.Also to connect IDS you will need an additional cable as well that does not come in the kit but can be purchased from Rotunda.Are you also aware that you will have the factory OE tool for Mazda as well,96 to present and calibration files as well.It really sounds like a hassle but it really isn't that bad.

jay

Ronnie, thanks for the info.
I'm looking to add some more depth in Ford vehicles that I see sometimes.
Will check out the Ford sight and AE before deciding.

Hi Jay.I contacted Jay Horak at AE (OWNER) and he stated that they have about 50% coverage on PATS at the moment but there is a new 5.0 operating system coming out with additional coverage.HTH.

autodr

jay said:
What is the difference between the PDS and IDS? Which has the most depth and bi-directional controls and system coverage?
Can AE get into PATS and reset key settings, Etc?
PDS is a condensed, and cut version of the scan tool software. The IDS is full blown. There are many things the PDS won't do that are software only tasks. They cut the software file size down for the PDS so it will fit in the PDA. The only nice thing about the PDS is the "all tests" menu where it lists all vehicle tests in one area, without having to access each module separately.

PDS is not worth it, too many things it won't and can't do... IDS is the way to go.

AE will program PATS up to '03... It will not program PATS on CAN.

I have daily use with the PDS and IDS, and I own an AE with Ford, Toyota, and GM enhanced... is there anything specific you want to know that hasn't been discussed?

Hi Autodr.I just upgraded to XP Pro on my laptop over the weekend.I was having trouble installing my new Pico software to go with my new Pico,but as a added bonus I got to install IDS as well.I configured network bridge and I am using CAT 5 cable to connect to VCM.The connection worked good and I was able to update the VCM to 46 and while I was at it I synched the PPC and updated it as well.I hope to try out IDS this week and see how it works. ;D

autodr

ronnie said:
Hi Autodr.I just upgraded to XP Pro on my laptop over the weekend.I was having trouble installing my new Pico software to go with my new Pico,but as a added bonus I got to install IDS as well.I configured network bridge and I am using CAT 5 cable to connect to VCM.The connection worked good and I was able to update the VCM to 46 and while I was at it I synched the PPC and updated it as well.I hope to try out IDS this week and see how it works. ;D
Cool.. I think you'll like it once you get used to it. One of my favorite features is being able to run multiple test pages at once and just tab between them on the drive. Like you can run power balance on one screen, and data logger on another. You can just hit the tab to switch between them. Granted, they are not continuing to run in the background when they are not being viewed... but... they will be preset to start running with one click... on PDS, you have to completely back out and navigate into the other screens.

I wish I knew you were about to shell out that $300.00 for Pro... I could have saved you some $$. Here, if you plan to switch any more laptops over to "pro"... use this.

http://members.troublecodes.net/autodr/TweakNT.exe

This version of TweakNT will change the name of your windows version. You can switch between "Pro" and "home"... it doesn't make a full blown version change, it just changes the name of the windows version and fools the software you are trying to run into thinking you have the right version. With this, IDS will run on "Xp Home", once you have switched the name to "Pro"... eventhough it is not really Pro.

On some PCs, the "Pro" version will show up as "Windows Media Version"... but th IDS downloads and runs, so it is accepted as "Pro" by the IDS.

S

SR

Hi everyone, I am trying to get into the diagnostic scene and I'm interested in the IDS system can anyone tell me where I can purchase it from. I live in the United Kingdom but can't seem to get hold of one over hear.

SR

autodr

Here..

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/ids/mcs/

The software downloads online. It's really just the VCM and cables you are buying. Since you are looking at going IDS, I should mention that the IDS does have a scope feature that you have to also buy the VMM to use.. I'd say save your money on the VMM and go PICO if you want a scope.

I don't know about shipping details to the UK. But that link would be the place for you to find out.

BTW.. for what it is worth, the VCM self ID's itself as a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet. I've searched the 3Com website looking to see if I can buy one there cheaper than going through Ford... no such luck. But I know that bit of information in the right hands can be useful... someone will surely track down an alternate source buy knowing exactly what the originating source is.

Lso, they go for sale on Ebay too... just type in the key word "VCM" to search. The PDS and NGS+ use the same VCM, only the cables are different between the PDS and IDS... hardware-wise. The VCM does have to be programmed to the NGS+,PDS, and IDS formats... but the scan tool software does that automatically.

A

Andy690

Latest calibration files for IDS

Hi

Just found this thread, does anybody have a spare copy of the calibration files newer than C43, and a copy of the files for Jaguar / Landrover ?

Happy to pay postage etc.

Thanks