ford ranger brakes..

I replaced the pads a few months ago and everything checked out good.
Today my brakes felt like they were locking up when I stopped.
Say I was going 40 and applied light pressure, I could feel a a light bump thru the pedal. Then when I'd come to a stop it would be really bad. Jerking the truck to a stop. Making a loud grinding sound. The truck doesn't drive with any sort of wobble like with warped rotors.
I'm planning to work on it this weekend, but any ideas of where to start or to look at would be appreciated.

Its an '04 ranger 2wd.
Thanks

I would think your problem is most likely in the rear brakes. Something has broken or come apart. I would suggest that you apply your parking brake while driving to see what happens, but no, don't do it, that might cause bigger problems.

a thought - leading trailing shoes - could you have reversed them?

Symptomatic analysis of brakes can be testy. Easy is brake pedal to the metal, leaks someplace. Steering wheel wobble when applied, warped rotors.

A grind when coming to a stop sure sounds like a metal (no pad or shoe left) to metal scenario, a bump when first applied, could be a sticky power brake booster.

Are you driving in road salt? This crap really creates a lot of brake problems, but can't fight city hall.

billr

wrench
Staff member
From your symptoms, this doesn't seem likely, but keep in mind: the rubber flex-lines (hoses) can get leaks in the inner liner and act like check-valves, causing brakes to lock and not release when pedal is released. You cannot tell a hose is bad in this way visually, no external leak and usually no bulge of the hose OD.

Yes, I live in Michigan. Lots of road salt..
When I brake in reverse, it brakes just fine. I took it for a short trip around the block. It did what I described at the first stop. But after that it didn't do it again.
Looks like we're getting a snowstorm this weekend. gonna have to get into the barn now.
Thanks for all the advice.
Will post a follow up.

Keep my 88 Supra in the barn during this season, only reason why its still around. For daily drivers, anything older that seven years around here is considered a classic car. If there is anything left of it.