Ford Ranger getting hard to start

jbfjr

'05 Ranger 3. 0L, 42K mi. When it has set for a few hours, it has to crank for 5-10 sec. before it starts, but when it starts it runs fine. If I turn the key on for a few seconds before cranking it starts quicker. Also, if I shut it off and restart immediately, it starts right up.

I suspect I'm losing fuel pressure. . . I used to drive Chevys but every one of them had the fuel pump in the tank go out. I hope this isn't the case with the Ranger, because it's an expensive hassle!

BTW, I did search the archives before posting, but no luck.

Thanks,
John F.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
It might be a fuel pressure regulator leaking...Do you have a way to test the fuel pressure?....Jim

Ford_Dude

wrench
Could be a fuel filter that is loaded up with junk. Maybe check the owner's manual to see when they recommended changing it.

Ford_Dude

jbfjr

Since it runs OK at all speeds, I'm assuming the fuel filter is OK. As for checking the pressure, I don't have a gauge but I can borrow one from a buddy. What worries me is I can't find any places online that sell a fuel pressure regulator for an '05 Ranger 3. 0L. . . this doesn't bode well!

BTW, I do NOT get any check engine lights with this problem. Also, I don't smell any gas fumes anywhere, so I'm also assuming it's not a fuel line leaking somewhere.

Thanks guys,
John F.
Richmond, TX

Ford_Dude

wrench
Your assuming too much. I know what my parents said about assumptions. ;) When you borrow your buddies fuel pressure tester you should do a fuel quantity test as well as pressure. Beyond that getting in to the PIDs would give you a better idea of what the computer is doing. Would love to see fuel trims.

Ford_Dude

jbfjr

Ford_Dude,

I understand the fuel quantity test, but could you explain what PIDs are? Also, what do you mean by "fuel trims"?

Ford_Dude

wrench
Well on scan tools that do more than just read codes you can view live data of various sensors. For example you can view the intake air temp, coolant temp, O2 sensor voltage etc. Fuel trim is displayed in %, there is short term and long term fuel trim. This is how much fuel the computer is adding to the engine to achieve an ideal fuel air mixture. If its adding a lot of extra fuel you are getting unmetered air in to the engine somehow. Just the opposite if its holding fuel back. These values can tell you a lot about what an engine is doing IF you know how to read them. They can give you clues long before the check engine light comes on. There are people on this site that can read the values a lot better than me, so if you have any other questions I am sure one of us can help.

Ford_Dude