FORD RANGER - location of ABS control module ?

bigo

The ABS / BRAKE warning dash light stays on. This is a '99 FORD ranger- v-6,auto, with the two wheel ABS system. Was told by a local shop that replacement of module would be around $400.00 !! Found a remanufactured one online , but not sure where it's located in vehicle ?? Does not seem to be in engine bay area? Any help would be appreciated !! thanks

NickD

wrench
If this is the one, looks like mine that plugs under the ABS modulator. And really buried under a bunch of stuff.

getimage.php

But what makes you think its the problem, usually wheel sensors are the problems, did you get codes?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You say that your local repair shop checked it out, can you plz tell us what code was pulled for ABS. Ckeck for dirty connections and dirty sensors. You can also check on A/C scale with a proper DVM to see if sensors are reading. Also check the hub teeth for debris or broken teeth. I will post back wiring, seem to have misplaced my ford disk, but mazda is the same. Also on same disk :ROFL

I am also assuming it has a rear diff sensor, If it has a RABS module, check that out also. I have seen many of these fail or so gummed up from metal shaving due to differential wear and tear.

Module should be near battery on left fender/driver side. The code should start with a C.

bigo

" NICKD", THANKS, This is the two wheel ABS model and does not have wheel sensors. It only has one sensor over the diff and was replaced. Shop I took truck to did not tell me codes, only that it needed module. And pic of unit I saw online is different from one you show. More of a flat type unit? Thanks - " NICKB2", Thank you for your help. Shop did not tell me codes? But, it does have the single sensor in diff. I replaced it along with a fluid change and did not see any issues with hub teeth ? I will look for module by battery. Thanks for your help !!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In that case, it should look like this. Still want that code, should be written on estimate. If not, that is not a good practice. I always mention the code and write it up with the estimate. http://www.ebay.ph/itm/ABS-Control-Module-F59F-2C018-AA-97-Ford-Ranger-/251430323265

NickD

wrench
ABS module is what turns the ABS light on. If toast, more than likely that light would not even come on.

No such thing as a front and rear sensor, most important is to compare the pulses between the two front wheels. Besides LF and RF sensors are listed for your vehicle as well as a rear center sensor.

Purpose of the rear sensor is if it is pulsing meaning the vehicle is in motion, and both front sensors are not pulsing, meaning the wheels are locked up, modulation is then applied to both front wheels that do about 80% of the braking anyway.

Yours is not the first one to go to shop, a friend was told his module was bad with a 900 buck quote. Problem was a 15 buck sensor.

I see your front sensor run around 30 bucks each and the rear one is under 20 bucks. Get some codes from a different shop. See that more and more low cost scanners are finally showing ABS codes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is the two wheel ABS model and does not have wheel sensors. It only has one sensor over the diff and was replaced.

Now if I read this right, it has no front wheel sensors and only rear diff sensor which is new and also serves as VSS. So if speedometer works, would be looking at module also and proportioning valve and most certainly all related wiring.

So it should be the RABS module they are referring to. Now since I don't have my ford disk with me I am going by old memory. The proportioning valve also houses the solenoids, I may be wrong, maybe someone else here can chime in.

Check this link outhttp://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133050

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ebrock63/2010-03-17_231528_2010-03-17_170218.png

NickD

wrench
GM is this way on the new stuff, no more proportioning valves for the rear wheels. Somehow the ABS modulator takes care of this, but information is very sparse on this subject. Don't know if they are using linear valves or just pulsing the rears for reduced braking. And don't know if the ABS goes out due to a wheel sensor failure if the proportioning section still works.

Do know, no longer possible to pull a plug to hot wire the ABS pump motor for brake bleeding nor to check out the solenoid valves. Only way to do this now is with a GMTech II scanner. Have yet to see any exploded parts diagram for the ABS modulator, just tell you if you suspect its defective to replace for $$$$. And is the law in the US that all vehicles made since 2010 have ABS.

If this isn't bad enough added traction and stability control to the ABS. Darn near had an accident going up a hill when one of the front wheels slipped, it kills the engine! But it can be turned off by holding the traction control button down for about nine seconds, and nine seconds is a very long time.

To me, this is no different then those millions of vehicles where the ignition switch is dropping out of run, still kills the engine. So now I switch off before even putting the car in drive. But if the engine stalls for any reason and have to restart the engine again, traction control comes right back on again.

And only good to 35 mph, if driving at 36, don't even have it. So help me, somebody is smoking crack, and this goes clear to the top. Then when you do switch it off, have a bright light darn near blinding you telling you it is off.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, got the ford disk, here are PDF's on how to get codes and charts to diagnose. I also provided a wiring of this RABS system. If you need more info, just ask. :thx

Attachments

• ACE - 0.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 53
  • ACE - 2.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ACE - 2.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ACE - 3.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 36
  • ACE - 4.pdf
    48.2 KB · Views: 39

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The attachments should provide you with more than enough to get this properly diagnosed with only a DVM/multimeter needed. Modulator is located along frame, just follow the brake line going to rear, you will find it there.

Hope this helps. I also assumed it was a 3.0l 8)