Ford Taurus overheating

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
MODEL:Taurus
YEAR:1996
MILES:82000
ENGINE
:3.0
DESCRIBE ISSUE....My neighbor has a 1996 Ford Taurus...called me and told me it was overheating...It has the stupid coolant fill bottle and no radiator cap...He was at work and I told him to see if it had coolant in it...He said the bottle was low but he filled it up and it still overheated..He had it towed here and I put my pressure tester on it and coolant was running out of the side of the tank on the radiator on the drivers side....so I told him we needed to replace the radiator....we replaced the radiator and the thermostat.... It is not leaking now but we fill it up and let it run and it gets warmer than it should....We put the cap on and drove it around the block and it almost pegged out on hot...it will overheat with or without the cap on.Some of the hoses don't feel very warm but the gauge pegs out on hot..It acts like the water is not circulating like it should...With it idling and the cap off you can see the water in the bottle is hot...I don't know what I am missing here....anybody have any ideas?....Thanks for the help....Jim

kev2

wrench
guessing single cam 3.0 L am I right.
cooling fans ok?
water pump ?

Jim...when you say "overheat" do you mean high gauge or puking fluid?

How is the heater output? Temp of Heater hoses?

If water pump is pumping, I think there should be steady flow from the small top hose to bottle.

If that engine has small coolant hoses to the throttle body area, that is usually a good place to relieve trapped air. Also, any small hose that goes to top of radiator.

Hey Dan....it is just the temp gauge going to hot...not puking any fluid out..When we were trying to bleed the air out we had the heater on and the fan running and the temp coming out was just barely warm..not sure about the hoses...I will check tomorrow and let you know...thanks...Jim

20 year old car, heater core is a part of the cooling system in these things. Could try back flushing it, you said it just gets warm with a red hot engine, sure sounds like it is plugged. It can be bypassed, but not blocked or will end up with a cracked engine head.

That car might have a "heater bypass hose" as part of the factory design. Look down there by the firewall to see if you can spot it. If it has one, a plugged heater core would not prevent the hoses from heating up. But an airlock would. How did the heater work before the radiator blew? May be a useless question, many chunks may have been dislodged during recent trauma to cooling system. Plugged heater core may be a fresh problem.