tdark

Make
Chevrolet
Model
K1500
Year
Miles
Engine
My friend was driving down the road yesterday in his 1998 K1500 chevy 4x4 at around 70 mph and he looked and all of sudden his 4x4 light was showing 4-low, it then moved to 4 high and back to 2hweel drive. He got to where he was going and started back home and no lights were showing and the four wheel drive in the truck will no longer work. He was in a rough place and had to be pulled out because the 4x4 never engaged.
When ignition is turned on all three lights on 4x4 switch go on once and then go off. No sound when trying to shift to 4wl or high
He found the transfer case fuse blown. Replaced it and still nothing. I assume something overloaded the circuit and blew the fuse. Fuse has not blown again but I think maybe the thing on transfer case is no longer working but I have been out of this business so long I really don't want to get involved so I ask those who might know.
Is there a way to get codes out of this thing to tell him where he needs to be looking ? He did replace the switch on dash thinking he might get lucky but no such thing. I am just passing info for him so he might be able to narrow it down.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
the thing on transfer case
That is commonly called an encoder. You could try using a 12v source at the encoder once it is removed and bench test it. If in fact it shorted and blew that fuse and now maybe it is just plain open now on armature.

There is also a transfer case module, but by memory cant remember exactly on this model where. Some suburban had them in hood area, others in hood area near booster. (edit) I meant some had them behind 4x4 switch in dash and some in hood area near booster. )

However, mitchel is giving me conflicting info. It says the 1998 k1500 5.7l is part time only.

So post back exact engine model you have or the engine vin# if you call it that. Cuz your description is not working, or this truck was modified.

Post back when you get that info from your buddy.

Last edited:

tdark

Thanks, I made a mistake on the year model. Its a 1999 early body style. Vin # 1GCEK19R9XR110459. I think you may be correct on the encoder motor. It may have shorted and when it did the fuse blew. Now there is an open. He said he drove it last night and the 4wl light kept flashing but that is probably normal with a fault. This morning he said no flashes. The transfer case fuse is still good which it would it there is an open in motor now. Thanks for the help. I will wait until I hear back from you before we do anything. Tom

billr

wrench
Staff member
I suggest that your buddy join here (batauto) and post directly. That way you can retire form this before you get sucked-in deeper, we can get info with less chance of communication error, and we might snag a new continuing member.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
1999 vin r engine k series truck 1500. Yes?

Is this a tahoe or a burb, anywho, not important, now I need to know if it is auto trac or without electronic shift control/with HD trans.

Very very different system.

I went with a burb with auto trac as they are the only ones with an encoder, and the module is as where is said behind the 4x4 switch on left of dash with encoder motor on transfer case and here is that wiring. The others only have a front axle actuator. Hope it helps.

If this is not your buddie's truck, do as bill said, have him post here.

Attachments

tdark

I suggest that your buddy join here (batauto) and post directly. That way you can retire form this before you get sucked-in deeper, we can get info with less chance of communication error, and we might snag a new continuing member.
I have tried to get him to join and he won't. He is actually my 1st cousin. I will probably help him so there will be no mistakes passing info on.

tdark

1999 vin r engine k series truck 1500. Yes?

Is this a tahoe or a burb, anywho, not important, now I need to know if it is auto trac or without electronic shift control/with HD trans.

Very very different system.

I went with a burb with auto trac as they are the only ones with an encoder, and the module is as where is said behind the 4x4 switch on left of dash with encoder motor on transfer case and here is that wiring. The others only have a front axle actuator. Hope it helps.

If this is not your buddie's truck, do as bill said, have him post here.
It is a Chevrolet Silverado K1500. I am not sure which one he has . How can I tell the difference ? I looked yesterday and it has a part on the front axle that looks like it screws out. I know we tested the volts at wiring that plugs into this part and it has a wire that is hot when he turns the switch on. Hang with me because it has been a long time since I worked on trucks. These trucks were not even made when I left my shop in the early 90's .
He tells me this morning when he drove it across town the 4-low light started flashing. It is not in 4 wheel drive though. I got the shop and will help him all I can as I find the time. Thanks for taking time helping me. Tom

Last edited:

tdark

I used a decoder for VIN's that I used to use years ago and it showed this
Transfer Case Model New Venture 243, Electronic Will this help ? Probably won't. I will get pictures soon

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, there is still a mistake. My listings for a k series siverado only come with a 5.3l then jump to 6.0l

Are we sure this is not a modified truck or are all my databases wrong or is cuz I am on canada database IDK. Screenshot (20).pngScreenshot (21).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So before we go here, from looking at picture, that encoder is a two wire deal, not remotley what I am seeing. I think this truck is modified, or it was not meant for canada and I cant find adequate wiring for it.

tdark

The truck has not be modified. He bought it new. It has the 5.7 engine.