Freshly rebuilt 46RE will not shift!

LipschitzWrath

EDIT: Could have saved a lot more money than that.

Valve Body: $169 - hxxp: qualitytransmissionparts. com/index. php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=13

Shift Kit: $110 - hxxp: www. summitracing. com/parts/TRG-TFOD-HD2

Total Cost: $279. That's a savings of $475 +$125 core credit = $600 that I could have saved. BTW, not to spoil anybody's dreams if they have APS Precision parts, but the APS Precision valve body is nothing more than a normal valve body with a Transgo Shift kit, Sonnax PR valve, Sonnax Manual Valve, Sonnax TV valve, and Sonnax Switch valve in it. Save yourself the money and buy these items seperately. Wayne was always touting these "exclusive parts", but if you look around, you can find anything he sells for a lot cheaper.

Check here: hxxp: www. transmissioncenter. net/dodge. htm

The transmission I have is equivalent to their "Level 3 Mega Viper", which is apparently good to 700 hp. $2827 w/ converter included. Add $100 for '96+ 4WD. They pay up to $110 of the freight so all said, I could have had professionals build me the same tranny I have now, ship it to my door, and know it was going to work, all for less than what i paid to rebuild it myself. Geez. And they would have sent me the new tranny in a week, so my jeep would have only been in the garage for a weekend swapping trannies, not 2 months like it has been. I hate my life.

I hope this helps someone because god knows I am having trouble finding the silver lining. . .

kev2

wrench
Glad you got it fixed- some reason we can NOT recheck our own work always a second set of eyes does the trick. but oy vey - not cheap-
Hey you are now 46re knowledgeable stop by and share what you have

LipschitzWrath

kev2 said:
Glad you got it fixed- some reason we can NOT recheck our own work always a second set of eyes does the trick. but oy vey - not cheap-
Hey you are now 46re knowledgeable stop by and share what you have
I'll try to be helpful here.

I learned a lot. I'm not gonna use the word expert but with all the problems I encountered, I got a lot deeper into it than most people anywhere. I honestly feel like if I had it to do over again, I could do it for half the cost, in half the time, with not even half the headache. And I could nail it dead on the first time.

LipschitzWrath

AAANNNNDDD, I'm back. This problem is solved but now I have a new one. Check here:

http://batauto.com/Forums/index.php?topic=11878.0

NickD

wrench
Transmissions in these things starting around 1990 are just the brawn, the brains are in the ECM, neutral safety switch,, Vss, and brake switches. They tell the transmissions what to do. And this thing is 22 years old, claims that flashram in the ECU is only good for holding flashram is for ten years. Contacts in your neutral safety switch are switching inductive loads they arc like crazy when moving your shifter losing contact.

See new ECM's are less than 200 bucks, beats paying over 1,300 or these little boxes, but a reflash may be all new need.

Ha, use to be just mechanical problems, not with today's crap both mechanical, electrical, and electronic.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I'll try to help the OP....

Start a new thread, it will be less confusing to not have to wade through old discussion. Are there any trouble-codes set? Have you had it scanned for codes, and with a scanner capable of showing "extended" codes that include trans codes? Post mileage on the vehicle. Have there been any unusual events that recently preceded this trans problem? Is the vehicle used often in heavy (off-road, towing, etc) duty? When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed?