Make
Chevy
Model
Equinox
Year
Miles
Engine
6 cyl.
54K miles, front rotors pulsating. I baby this car, no reason for the rotors to warp at that mileage, but it is what it is. Anyway, replaced the rotors and pads, pulsating went away, brakes smooth as butter...

...except intermittently, I get a grinding noise when braking from the Left front side, with the grinding sound "pulsating" like the rotors are warped but the car stops smoothly and there's no steering wheel pulse like there was with the original (warped) rotors. Then the next time I brake, it's normal, quiet. Might happen once on my 8 mile trip into work (3-4 stops), might not happen.

The only difference between the two sides on installation of the rotors and pads was that there is a clip (not the normal brake clips) that went over and covers the caliper piston that was original and on the left side but not on the right. I've never seen one like that. Decided to leave it on. Could this be causing the problem?

I'm going to pull the wheel and have a look this weekend but wanted to see if I'm missing something obvious.

billr

wrench
Staff member
What, JP is getting no love here?

I would expect the parts to be the same on both sides, but there is a chance different brands of pads will have different clips. So, if you did not change pads on both sides at the same time, with same brand, then who knows? I suppose the same is possible with calipers, but I don't think I have ever heard of different brands being different regarding the clips/hardware required.

My guess is this will turn out to be a wheel-bearing issue...

Mobile Dan

wrench
Look for "hot spots" on the rotor. This is a different sort of warpage which can make a sound, but not cause "shake". 1632016189506.png

JP

What, JP is getting no love here?

I would expect the parts to be the same on both sides, but there is a chance different brands of pads will have different clips. So, if you did not change pads on both sides at the same time, with same brand, then who knows? I suppose the same is possible with calipers, but I don't think I have ever heard of different brands being different regarding the clips/hardware required.

My guess is this will turn out to be a wheel-bearing issue...
Thanks for the support! ;) So...insert multiple embarrassed icons here, see response below.

JP

Look for "hot spots" on the rotor. This is a different sort of warpage which can make a sound, but not cause "shake". View attachment 11420
Didn't see any, but here's why:

I pulled the wheel off and one caliper pin bolt was MISSING. At first I thought that maybe I had torqued it too much and maybe sheared it off, but I checked the pin and it...was...just...missing. So when I braked, the caliper tilted forward and was grinding on the rotor.

I'm 100% sure that I put in back in and didn't find it on the garage floor. I'm 99% sure that I did tighten it up, but sometimes that 1% does occur:

There's a 99% chance you'll never get killed by a dolphin or a baby, but never a 100% chance.
There's a 99% chance I tightened the bolt properly, but as it turns out, a larger chance than expected that I did something stupid and didn't.

Insert 100 embarrassed emojis here.

Oh, and I left the bungy cord hanging from the strut and wondered what was clunking when I went over a bump. DUH.

JP

I guess that since I've got 2 relatively problem free vehicles (OK, warped rotors at 54K miles is a problem the way I baby my vehicles) , I haven't done much repair lately. Guess I'd better wise up and pay more attention.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I ain't gonna laugh at you, I have done things equally as dumb!

JP

No buds..."I turned 61 this year" is what I'm going with as an excuse.

Yeah, the bungy cord...HUGE DUH. Had me wondering WTH was loose and banging around.