Front Brake Pads Semi metallic VS Ceramic (2002 Merz E320 V6 3.2L)

Chaud

Brake pads on this car needs to be changed but not sure if I should try Ceramic pads instead of Original semi-metallics. I would appreciate if I could get your opinion on this subject.
Thanks-Chaud

I think you will be fine with the semi metallic pads if that is what came on it....Ceramic pads cost a little more and they will last longer....I also think the ceramic pads produce less noise...You can always try them and see which feels better to you....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is rotor life reduced with ceramic? I'm talking about life due to wear or heating, not rusting...

They will reduce rotor life Bill.....I believe his car came with semi metallic...probably better to use what came with it...but the ceramic will last longer and the rotors wear out quicker...LOL...give up one for the other I guess...Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
I have no experience with ceramic pads, but that's the answer I was expecting. Since I never have to replace (or turn, so far...) rotors, you can guess what pads I will continue to use.

Chaud

I am not expert but I believe the smart person who designed the brake system had one point very clear that pads should wear lot faster than the rotor's material. so irrespective of the material whether semi-metallic or Ceramic neither can outlast the rotor. Another point to note is that when I look for pad's shopping on the internet there is always an option for metallic or ceramic. This means either will work. However the only variable not known is how much heat each material produces due to friction when braking. Now if Ceramic produces more heat than the rotor will have the tendency to warp a bit and/or reduce the braking efficiency. This is my biggest concern. I guess I will stick with semi-metalic what the car came with. Nevertheless your opinion played a role in my decision. thanks-chaud