front end noise - Jeep Liberty

dotcentral

We have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4, owned since new, 47,000 miles. All on-road miles. Had the ball joints replaced under a factory recall.

It has developed a slight front end noise, seems to be right front. At first I thought it was power steering related, as it seemed to do it when first driving away after sitting over night - I have to back out of my drive while turning. My independant mechanic has had it twice, and it is not brakes, and the p/s is not leaking. Lately I have heard it when the wheel is not turned, backing or pulling straight out. Bad wheel bearing? bad replacement ball joint? I don't know how to describe the noise. Not a low pitch noise, maybe hi pitch? It is short in duration. One or two squeaks and it is gone until we shut it off & it sits for several hours.

Planning on putting about 1000 miles on it over the holidays, so I'd like to get this fixed so it doesn't cause a bad accident, or make me worry about it the whole trip.

J.C.

We have a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4, owned since new, 47,000 miles. All on-road miles. Had the ball joints replaced under a factory recall.

It has developed a slight front end noise, seems to be right front. At first I thought it was power steering related, as it seemed to do it when first driving away after sitting over night - I have to back out of my drive while turning. My independant mechanic has had it twice, and it is not brakes, and the p/s is not leaking. Lately I have heard it when the wheel is not turned, backing or pulling straight out. Bad wheel bearing? bad replacement ball joint? I don't know how to describe the noise. Not a low pitch noise, maybe hi pitch? It is short in duration. One or two squeaks and it is gone until we shut it off & it sits for several hours.

Planning on putting about 1000 miles on it over the holidays, so I'd like to get this fixed so it doesn't cause a bad accident, or make me worry about it the whole trip.
What was the noise from?

billr

wrench
Staff member
^^^^ +1
The thread may be old, but J.C.'s similar problem is quite current. Let's try to help!

Mobile Dan

wrench
slight front end noise
2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4
One or two squeaks and it is gone until we shut it off & it sits for several hours

That could be tough to pinpoint. Hard to duplicate if it disappears so quickly. Maybe have a couple people stand outside the jeep when the noise happens.