Fuel fowling plugs..

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In a safe world, clean world, with nothing to prevent the cam gear opti spark thing from back then, F1 shyte I think to get a hand over williams. Anyway, off track. Typing faster than my own thoughts.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
These cars need to be timed, you need to make sure it is, and that the distro is providing time also to cam. In a timily fashion, and one old trick was the noid light and timing light back in the day of the old pontiacs.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here is a snap shot of the insane amounts of these things went south back in the day. The other 44k guys who just replaced the coil wire shot them selves in the foot. Screenshot (59).png

grcauto

As Mobile Dan suggests it would be good to look at temp sensors. Maybe put a fuel pressure gauge on it.

20 year old vehicle driven on road salt would have been in a wrecking yard 10 years ago. and this includes Honda's.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, nickb2 is on the road today, so I will fill in for him with some absurdity:

Every time I see the title to this thread, I think it is about something that goes in the butt of a duck.

Last edited:
Have to say loved the introduction of the PCV in 1960, replaced the crankcase breather pipe that sucked up tons of dirt from the roads. Needed a shovel to get rid of all that crap, and typically really bad at 30-40K miles.

At first the PCV, just a simple check valve would only let fumes in the crankcase flow up to the base of the carburetor. but would build up on the intake valves. Worse when fuel injectors became very popular in around 1985, would build up carbon on the face of the injectors with major changes in the spray pattern. In a Honda 4 cylinder were easy to remove the injectors and clean those off. Definitely had to replace the seals.

If pouring ethanol based fuels in these injectors, prior to 2006, would corrode the pintles in the injectors causing major injector leaks, stupid government that started ethanol never warned on this. All seven of my injectors in my 88 Supra were wrecked, and for a time, only ethanol fuel could be purchased. Can purchase ethanol free gas for around 50-75 cents per gallon even though ethanol fuel cost more to make.

Yet another problem with ethanol if you do have a vehicle that is designed for it is getting it when you fill up. Ethanol is heavier than gas and settles to the bottom of your tank, fuel pump picks that up first leaving you with major detonation problems. Or not even getting that ethanol when you paid for it.

Another problem was Obama's cash for clunkers as he called did. Road salt ate up my youngest kids car and the best I could find in a 500 mile radius was a piece of crap with 170,000 miles on it for $10,000.00! Was cheaper to buy a newer vehicle, but easy when that worthless Iraq war increased college tuition to $25,000.00 per year.