Fuel Pump 1998 Buick Park Avenue 3800

brcidd

I always give the tank a good rap when the FP is inop-- the smack on the tank can nudge the pump into running- by bouncing the brushess- then I let the old pump pump out the tank by way off the pressure port into another tank- so beat the bottom of the tank with the primer jumpered out- see what happens

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Thanks; I tried that, but still no luck. The good news is that I can access the fuel pump from inside the trunk, so I don't have to pump out the fuel and drop the tank.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
fixed fixed fixed fixed

I tried the test light on the B&C terminals...on 2 secs after turning the key on, on constant while cranking...it checked out OK.

I had a bit of trouble getting the retaining ring off; I ended up using my big ole channel locks, squeezing against a tab on the ring and the hold down clip. Not much trouble reinstalling, except I had to cut the harness wires, and hook up the modified connector.

Thanks, Gus for all your diagnostic help, and especially for giving me the heads up on the access plate through the trunk! Thanks to everyone else too! :thx

Rick54

:)isn't it great when they provide a access panel to tank....its a shame all manufact ures cant do that

thelifferths

Thanks...I'm planning on removing the access panel in the trunk, and test for power to the pump before I remove it.

I do have an additional question...when we were trying to jump it off (the battery ran down from trying to crank it), the temp needle and fuel level needle both went around 360 degrees, and pegged out on the bottom of the low side peg on each gague. How do I get the temp and fuel needles to spin back to their home positions?

I know this is coming a few years later, but a quick tip I learned from watching YouTube is to take a strong magnet, place it at the bottom of the gauge and you will see the needle start to move, it takes a bit of practice but you can guide the needle back around and into position that way. It has happened a few times to my 98 Buick on the fuel gauge, so I keep a magnet in the car now in case it happens again. Good luck to anyone else that happens on to this post.

And thanks to all that posted about the fuel pump location, I need to get mine checked out.