Friday

Make
Dodge
Model
Grand Caravan
Year
Miles
Engine
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. Daughter's car. Intermittent no start condition eventually became a never start condition. Engine turns over fine but won't start. When it was still an intermittent problem, I thought it was the infamous TIPM fuel pump relay problem, so I tried bypassing the relay with a jumper from the power outlet fuse to the fuel pump fuse. That worked for about 2 days, then the problem re-appeared but now it was starting and immediately dying. I was not present to witness this condition. So I'm going to start over with the basics, listening to see if the pump runs with key on and go from there. I am anticipating needing to know one thing: On the pigtail that delivers power and returns data to/from the pump, which of the 4 pins should be getting 12V on? I found one wiring diagram online (Automate) that identifies it as DB/OR. Is that correct for this year and model? I'm going over there Wednesday to start looking at it again.

kev2

wrench
Strongly suggest you scan for codes,
If there is a provision a fuel pump pressure test- PSI?
fuel pumps only have 12v @2seconds if engine not running.
The 12v is grounded at pump NOT returned to PCM. BK/LG wire is ground
Removing the FP relay will likely set a code.

Attachments

Friday

Strongly suggest you scan for codes,
If there is a provision a fuel pump pressure test- PSI?
fuel pumps only have 12v @2seconds if engine not running.
The 12v is grounded at pump NOT returned to PCM. BK/LG wire is ground
Removing the FP relay will likely set a code.
Yes, I'm going to check for codes while I am over there. No CEL is displaying. The FP relay is not removable, it is integrated into the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). If you Google Caravan TIPM you will see hundreds of posts about faulty TIPMs including many with a bad FP relay. Since it is soldered into the main board, it cannot be replaced easily.

Friday

:fixed: Well this is really stupid. The battery failed finally after all the cranking and recharging. They bought a new battery, and the problems disappeared.