eddieguy

Make
Toyota
Model
Rav 4
Year
Miles
Engine
Just bought a toyota rav 4 a few days ago and i smelled gas and when i peeked underneath i could see gas under the tank but i have not tried to remove tank for a look yet. Im taking back to the car lot in the morn to tell them about it. Its an old rav4 but there to do some kind of check on it before you buy it and theres a safety issue for sure in this. I got a pic of where i can see the fuel on the tank. I guess this is another crystal ball question cause we cant see through metal. I guess i will have to remove tank but i may have a shop check it out since they filled the tank when i bought it. Guess my question is whats involved in removing tank.

eddieguy

Just bought a toyota rav 4 a few days ago and i smelled gas and when i peeked underneath i could see gas under the tank but i have not tried to remove tank for a look yet. Im taking back to the car lot in the morn to tell them about it. Its an old rav4 but there to do some kind of check on it before you buy it and theres a safety issue for sure in this. I got a pic of where i can see the fuel on the tank. I guess this is another crystal ball question cause we cant see through metal. I guess i will have to remove tank but i may have a shop check it out since they filled the tank when i bought it. Guess my question is whats involved in removing tank.
Pic

Attachments

NickD

wrench
Never needed a shop manual to remove a tank, kind of obivious when looking at it, generally two straps with rusty hard ware, run a die up first to clean off the threads, fuel fillers have a long ride because they moved the tank forward quite a bid. Three fuel lines, always a pain, electrical for the fuel pump, gas gauge and the pressure sensor.

Major problem is removing the fuel first and really a pain in the butt if the problem is the fuel pump is shot, but have an spare external fuel pump, next problem is where to put the fuel, besides, nice to have spare vehicles or at least 5 or 6 5 gallon gas cans. Many vehicles, exhaust system has to be removed first and even a bigger pain if is was welded in.

Major reason for removing the tank, those stupid tiny brushes in the fuel pump are worn out, and these ding bat bean counters can't install an access plate, many shops around here charge 1,200-1,500 bucks to replace a fuel pump and use the cheapest ones they can find from China.

Made a rule a long time ago to look at the bottom of the vehicle first on some kind of lift, talk about finding sins, if what I see is what I like, one I offered 3,000 less than the asking price explaining why, they took it. Don't know until you look.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
a bigger pain if is was welded in.
Thats is too funny, the other day, apprentice gets a treat. A suzuki fuel cell. Yeah, it part of the rear subframe. Boy did we laugh at young buck whilst he try to pry the cell out. It part of the car buddy.

So yeah, need a new fuel tank in one of these things, need a whole rear end. Sometimes, you just have to luv to hate this trade.

If memory serves right it was an esteem but I could be wrong on that, I stayed way away of that work order, magically, I needed to go take a long shyte. Oh and btw, suzuki in the car dpt went under, so good luck finding a rust buket up here that fits the bill. They went under after recall upon recall.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
nope, memory just kicked in a korean job an elantra family sedan. Thing is welded to the rear, who in thier right mind would desin something like that and think it is maintenance easy. Gosh dang it cant remember. May suzuki or hyundai, anyway, shyte job on a good day even when new.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
apprentice got gallon. He got her done. But boy did we laugh at him pitching tools and such. And I as a vet tech challenge anyone here to lie and say you never met a car you just wanted to f up in the biggest way.

That thing was a night mare for young man, it came back leaking, evap codes, it was just a mess. One of those cars that haunts you and you dont want to bring that home to your wife or gf while she is not having fun in here life kind of deal. Plus, his gf is due date two weeks from now kid is 23 or so, he is stressed out.

jigfeett

Nice $.02 my $.02.
Seems the pumps go out right after a full tank is pumped in from empty. Years back did many of them in store parking lots. Also it is just the pump not the entire unit that goes bad but try to buy just the pump......:coffee:

eddieguy

Nice $.02 my $.02.
Seems the pumps go out right after a full tank is pumped in from empty. Years back did many of them in store parking lots. Also it is just the pump not the entire unit that goes bad but try to buy just the pump......:coffee:

eddieguy

I see the access panel to the fuel pump behind the driver seat but I was curious as to what the access panel was behind the passenger seat is sort of resembles the fuel pump panel I don't know if I'm correct in my thinking or not but I thought if I remove these access panels I might be able to see where fuel might be leaking from above the tank

Attachments

NickD

wrench
Don't know until you, even with a shop manual on some vehicles. My 88 Supra has an access plate. but wen I opened it, was for the fuel level sensor, not the fuel pump. Tank had to be removed to replace that.

Is it that difficult to learn where that leak is coming from when you have it dripping in your face? Never had problems with leaded gas, but this new, (to me) unleaded gas has some kind of acid in it that burns your or maybe just my skin like crazy.

Use to use gasoline for parts cleaning all the time, worked good and couldn't find anything cheaper. But all this is in ancient history books.

jigfeett

If you start to drop the tank and you do not see any residue on the top then you know the side or bottom is the leak point. There are some videos online but some are just the strap replacement.