Model
Any
Year
Late model
Miles
Any
Engine
Any
I used to be of the opinion that turning rotors was an OK thing back when they were beefy. However, I've heard various opinions on turning rotors, both yea and nay, the nays mostly because of the thinner rotors nowadays being more prone to warping again when they are turned and are thinner yet.

As well, I usually don't have the time to have a car out of service for the time it takes to get rotors turned...but that's my issue, not the rotors themselves.

So...pros and cons of turning rotors besides the cost savings?

jigfeett

I get rotors turned if time and spec allows but I always check the new cost first because some rotors are very low cost while others are high. I found 1 ton and up get costly.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I say don't turn them; and don't replace them unless they are really bad (heat cracks, hard spots, very deep circular grooves, any radial grooves, etc)

grcauto

if they have the meat to turn I do that but many are made so light there is no way. Depends on the rotor.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Just like Bill, I say don't turn them; and don't replace them unless they are really bad.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Gave up trying.
Second this comment in a huge way.

Up here, we all threw out our lathes. No use anymore.

Cost vs efficiency etc.

type deal.

We got tired of changing carbide bits. the new rotors are all carbon fused and eats up equipment, cost more to turn than replace now days.

my $.02