GM Tech 2 scanner for cars and trucks

cw41

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:
MODEL:
YEAR
:
MILES:
ENGINE
:
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I'm wondering if I was to invest into a quality tech 2 for gm vehicles, what brand would you mechanics recommend? Thank you for your time to reply and I know they are not cheap.

cw41

Hey Nickb2, how you doing? I need/want a tech 2 scanner, I've needed one for years time to bit the bullet. I was going through the link you sent, I believe you need a gm account can anyone get one or just an employee of gm? Which one should I look into as to brand? thanks again nick, cold up there?

Off topic, I've been shopping at Maxbrakes.com in Ontario seems like a nice cross drilled/slotted rotor pad kit for an excellent price. Have you heard or shopped with them? Found out oem castings are G3000 grade and their premium is G3500, supposed to be a better casting, we'll see.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I just want to know, what is preventing you from just buying a ELM 327inteface, with free tech 2 software? All this can be had for almost free.

I like my proscan for the elm interface dongle.

I do not endorse this company in any shape or form, I just think it is really easy to use. If you don't have a laptop, one can be bought at your local pawn shop on the down low, as the younger crowds likes to say.

Here is a link to a good package. https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4208103/OBD2

I hope I won't get in trouble for that link!;)

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As for a GMmin #, you can get one here. https://acdelcoconnect.com/Home/Technical

I got my gmtech# since i was a tech for them. But almost anyone can get one, even if they are not certified.

Having used the GDS (http://www.gmdesolutions.com/services/standards.php) wireless in a dealer format, I was thoroughly impressed. I also found I could recreate that experience in a almost cost free way.

The only thing that is eluding me right now, is how to find a tough-book. That would be a great addition to my tool box. Kijiji and Craigslist have been elusive and sometimes even dubious.

However, I am not sure if the panasonic will do me good. There are a few on line for under 200$. The toshiba's run close to 600$ used. As a joke, one of colleagues back in the day actually bought one and we drove a pick up over it. Just like in the video that was viral. To boot, he ran back over it again. It fired up in a newyork minute.

I told myself, "I WANT ONE OF THOSE"

You will need the TDS. (technical delivery system). To hack that is not easy. Better to just apply as a independent. They will give you a # that way.

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
Ha, we as the buying public should leave all this new crap in the dealers showroom, latest thing is no scanner at all. Plugging in a WiFi device to a normal computer, but need the users name and password to get into the GM site, this shows the codes.

With generic scanners, for some strange reason, would not show ABS codes because of liability reasons so they claim. But yet described as a secondary system that in no way affects normal braking. But yet anyone can fool with the normal braking system.

Other factor is no bi-directional control, did have this on my 92 DeVille, slow, but not paying myself 100 bucks an hour, could run all modes in the climate control by pushing the correct buttons.

Getting by okay with a $4.95 cent subscription to Torque Pro, a application on my smart phone, got an iCar ELM 327 for 20 bucks I can leave plugged in all the time because it has a power switch on it. If that CEL pops up, least I know what the problem is, loose gas cap or the engine is going to burn itself up. And with type A codes can reset them. One key problem is mounting the carbon canister at the rear of the gas tank where it can be splashed by road salt generating a code. Really the only solution is to get the car in a warm place where this crap can melt off. But once set, it stays set.

What really tees me off with my Cruze, I can no longer manually activate the ABS pump, for proper brake bleeding, need a GM Tech II scanner for this with the ABS module. Basterds are just making life miserable for the consumer.

Another thing that tees me off is the radio is not a radio anymore, but a computer with code stored in flashram that can be corrupted. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with emissions, but the only way to reflash it is to go to my dealer with some kid charging me a hundred bucks an hour that doesn't even know how to turn a computer on.

How much are you planning on spending on a GM Tech II scanner? Lowest price I found so far was around 4,000 bucks. But completely worthless if you need a reflash. They got us where they want us, may think you own your vehicle, but in reality, you do not.

cw41

I just want to know, what is preventing you from just buying a ELM 327inteface, with free tech 2 software? All this can be had for almost free.

I like my proscan for the elm interface dongle.

I do not endorse this company in any shape or form, I just think it is really easy to use. If you don't have a laptop, one can be bought at your local pawn shop on the down low, as the younger crowds likes to say.

Here is a link to a good package. https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4208103/OBD2

I hope I won't get in trouble for that link!;)
Hey Nickb2, I tried that about a year ago with your help and couldn't get it to work properly. thats why I'm at the point to get a quality tool eventhough it's pricey. Thanks for the tip above on the 300.00 one I'll look into it.

cw41

As for a GMmin #, you can get one here. https://acdelcoconnect.com/Home/Technical

I got my gmtech# since i was a tech for them. But almost anyone can get one, even if they are not certified.

Having used the GDS (http://www.gmdesolutions.com/services/standards.php) wireless in a dealer format, I was thoroughly impressed. I also found I could recreate that experience in a almost cost free way.

The only thing that is eluding me right now, is how to find a tough-book. That would be a great addition to my tool box. Kijiji and Craigslist have been elusive and sometimes even dubious.

However, I am not sure if the panasonic will do me good. There are a few on line for under 200$. The toshiba's run close to 600$ used. As a joke, one of colleagues back in the day actually bought one and we drove a pick up over it. Just like in the video that was viral. To boot, he ran back over it again. It fired up in a newyork minute.

I told myself, "I WANT ONE OF THOSE"

You will need the TDS. (technical delivery system). To hack that is not easy. Better to just apply as a independent. They will give you a # that way.
thanks for the tip on the gm ac delco account Nickb2.

cw41

Ha, we as the buying public should leave all this new crap in the dealers showroom, latest thing is no scanner at all. Plugging in a WiFi device to a normal computer, but need the users name and password to get into the GM site, this shows the codes.

With generic scanners, for some strange reason, would not show ABS codes because of liability reasons so they claim. But yet described as a secondary system that in no way affects normal braking. But yet anyone can fool with the normal braking system.

Other factor is no bi-directional control, did have this on my 92 DeVille, slow, but not paying myself 100 bucks an hour, could run all modes in the climate control by pushing the correct buttons.

Getting by okay with a $4.95 cent subscription to Torque Pro, a application on my smart phone, got an iCar ELM 327 for 20 bucks I can leave plugged in all the time because it has a power switch on it. If that CEL pops up, least I know what the problem is, loose gas cap or the engine is going to burn itself up. And with type A codes can reset them. One key problem is mounting the carbon canister at the rear of the gas tank where it can be splashed by road salt generating a code. Really the only solution is to get the car in a warm place where this crap can melt off. But once set, it stays set.

What really tees me off with my Cruze, I can no longer manually activate the ABS pump, for proper brake bleeding, need a GM Tech II scanner for this with the ABS module. Basterds are just making life miserable for the consumer.

Another thing that tees me off is the radio is not a radio anymore, but a computer with code stored in flashram that can be corrupted. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with emissions, but the only way to reflash it is to go to my dealer with some kid charging me a hundred bucks an hour that doesn't even know how to turn a computer on.

How much are you planning on spending on a GM Tech II scanner? Lowest price I found so far was around 4,000 bucks. But completely worthless if you need a reflash. They got us where they want us, may think you own your vehicle, but in reality, you do not.
I'm going to split the scanner three ways so that will definatly help. The whole family has needed it at one time or another now I have a 05 chrysler 300 with random misfire according to my cheapo scanner but it doesnt tell you anymore. I think I'll create a new post on that one, maybe a coil or plug wire?? Thanks to all for the help in advance.

cw41

No, not so bad, one of the mildest winters ever of note. But winter up here has a funny way of kicking you up the arse.

Try this site out. http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-1568-GM+Tech2+GM+Scanner+-CANdi++TIS.html

This one seems to come with the CANDI interface.

For the price, and as you say you need to "bite the bullet" this may be a good kit for you under 300$.
Looks like a nice scanner for the price have you had any experience with this one? Is it canada made? Did you get my note on maxbrakes.com best price on brakes I've ever found and made in CANADA, which I'm fine with.

cw41

No, not so bad, one of the mildest winters ever of note. But winter up here has a funny way of kicking you up the arse.

Try this site out. http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-1568-GM+Tech2+GM+Scanner+-CANdi++TIS.html

This one seems to come with the CANDI interface.

For the price, and as you say you need to "bite the bullet" this may be a good kit for you under 300$.
I was thinking that a tech 2 would work on chrysler vehicles as well with the required software? Is that the case or do I need something different for chrysler/dodge? thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
"Tech 2" is the GM brand-name for their scan-tool; so it may not be full-functioned with other manufacturer's vehicles. I would look at a high-end OTC (Owatonna Tool Co) or Snap-On unit if you insist on a stand-alone; otherwise those ELM327 devices that Nickb2 talks about would be my choice. Can anybody but a GM shop even buy a real Tech2 new?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Actually Bill, yes you can buy one new. But the service charges are astronomical. The tech2 is still a viable scanner but outdated. Just a few years ago, whilst working for GM, laptops were the new thing. No more MDS station to go to for reprogramming and such, All done by wifi.

It was a great improvement. Cuz with only two MDS stations for what I think, we were 17 tech's, alot of time lost waiting on updates, new TSB's and some very flustered guys waiting on one of those stations. When working for mopar, the DRB was the same shyte. This time only one station for 12 techs. What a nightmare.

As for a Tech2 to read OBD2 codes, it will only do generic for other makes and models. It is not up-gradable for other manufacturer codes.

So in essence Bill, you gave great advice, if the op wants a SOLID scanner, a OTC genysis or something similar is probably the best route, or as I say often, buy that elm327 and appropriate software is the best route to go when doing general repair work.

Another one I really like to work with is the "launch" However it is slow, but very complete in regards to hardware and software.

Here is a link, maybe one can be found used for cheaper. But I especially like the BMW functionality and the emulation VAG pid data. Great tool for european models. The newer lanches are now in a notepad format and go up to 1grand easy. Not counting the upgrades, always read the fine print.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/launch-scan-tool

cw41

"Tech 2" is the GM brand-name for their scan-tool; so it may not be full-functioned with other manufacturer's vehicles. I would look at a high-end OTC (Owatonna Tool Co) or Snap-On unit if you insist on a stand-alone; otherwise those ELM327 devices that Nickb2 talks about would be my choice. Can anybody but a GM shop even buy a real Tech2 new?
I have the elm 327 but I need to buy the program/software to make it work which is ok as long as i can get it to work for me. I tried to get around buying the whatever its called from the company that sells it but couldn't get it to work. thanks