Hail Damage

TalkingDreams

This forum is a GOD send! I never had this many car questions in my life and I'm so glad there is a place to ask them!

Today's question is:

How risky is it to buy a car that had hail damage? I'm looking at a 2006 model that was auctioned for about 20% of it's original cost because of hail damage. The current owner bought it because he does body work. He has it looking like new and is now selling it for about 60% of the KBB retail value (the KBB value is based on a car in excellent condition).

Also, does anyone know if hail damage appears on a car fax? I'm concerned about having a problem with resale if such a move would be necessary any time soon.

As always, thanks you in advance for any thoughts you can offer.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
How bad was the damage?...If the car was totalled because of the hail damage, it will probably have a salvage title and that will show up on Carfax....Jim

greasemonkey

Jim is correct if the title is a salvage it is worth a lot less. As far as any problems mechanicly there should not be any problem with it if it was due to body damage. I say if your going to keep it buy it. If you are thinking of selling it to make a profit stay away from it. Or if you think you are only going to use it for a couple of years and trade it in, I don,t think it is going to be worth much do to the salvage title. HTH Greasemonkey :)

kev2

wrench
how much is a cr fax search these days??  might make you sleep easier,  knowing tittle condition also ask seller for tittle to look AT before you purchase should be in HIS name...

knowing make and model would add tio the picture, a corvette or corolla? Might change suggestions

NickD

wrench
Insufficient data on this one, say if the KBB retail value was $20K, he paid $4K for it and wants to sell it to you for $12K, what did he do for a $8 profit? Ha, when the car market is low was able to buy a brand new car off the lot at 62% of the retail value, actually 42% with my GM card earnings. But anyone could buy it at that 62% level.

Wouldn't mind paying 20% of the value, we have a repairable lot here and they are asking 60% for a rollover, friends that thought they were getting a deal ended up paying more for just the parts to repair these things than the retail value, labor was free, they forgot if the air bag module was tripped, only thing to do was to buy a new one from the dealer and I do not feel the dealers are aware it is only suppose to cost 125 bucks per vehicle to add an entire airbag system.

Body work on this one may look good, but what about in six months? With a quick fix up, your vehicle could look like swiss cheese and be worthless. Insurance companies are extremely greedy as well as banks, last place I would go looking for a deal. They don't sell foreclosures anymore to just get whatever they had in it, but put it on the market at an elevated assessed value to make a big profit. It's just business.

Ha, you show me an insurance company that is willing to take an 80% loss on a vehicle, especially a two year old vehicle when it can be repaired for a couple of bucks, and I will show you an insurance company that is out of business. Sure the guy may say minor hail damage, probably more likely this vehicle was totaled. The numbers just do not add up. Too good to be true.

Gus

wrench
"I do not feel the dealers are aware it is only suppose to cost 125 bucks per vehicle to add an entire airbag system."

Nick, where the hell do you come up with these rediculous numbers....$125 for an entire SIR system? You been sniffing glue again? ;D

Gus

wrench
As for Talkingdreams, if you buy the car, and give it a name(as some people do...Nick calls his Cavalier, Nick jr.), do not, I repeat, do not call it "Redskins"!

hint: team song of the Washington football team.

NickD

wrench
My son wrote a college paper on air bags doing extensive research on this subject, even got an A+ on it, while I didn't double check his sources that he quoted, that was the price he found. It is also costing the public 25 million bucks per a life saved where the guy wasn't using his seat belts, and the air bags have killed just about as many kids as adults who refuse to wear belts.

Regarding markup's designed an ignition module for Honda, our price to them was a $1.26, dealers price was over 150 bucks, so don't tell me about price markups.

wap

GO MOUNTAINEERS
you sold and ignition module for $1.26? :-\ for a honda? ::) please. are you independantly wealthy or just tryin to 'stick it to da man'? yikes. e-mail me your phone number so I can buy a few parts from you guys. Maybe, just maybe, Gus will kick in a fresh tube of Testor's model airplane glue. lol just kidding, I know it was a type-o. well........I hope it was. :thx

Gus

wrench
Nick, here's what I want you to do....call your local parts store, and ask them how much an airbag for your Cavalier will cost.....make sure you are sitting down.....

mhamilton

wap said:
you sold and ignition module for $1.26? :-\ for a honda? ::) please. are you independantly wealthy or just tryin to 'stick it to da man'? yikes. e-mail me your phone number so I can buy a few parts from you guys. Maybe, just maybe, Gus will kick in a fresh tube of Testor's model airplane glue. lol just kidding, I know it was a type-o. well........I hope it was. :thx
Let's not start name calling...

designed an ignition module for Honda, our price to them was a $1.26, dealers price was over 150 bucks,
As he said, Nick designed the module, and his company's cost for producing the unit was $1.26. That's completely reasonable for an IC and some passive parts. But, to get the same replacement piece aftermarket from the dealer, was looking at 10,000% markup.

NickD

wrench
Apparently $1.26 was way too high of a price, and no, not a typo, my company moved to China to be able to compete in the US and other world markets. Different end of the stick, and no, I don't have to call my dealer for prices, nor do I have to look at Radio Shack for a low quality capacitor they charge a buck and a half for, we purchased high quality capacitors by the millions for around 3/4 cents a piece. To get a large order, a fraction of a cent in unit price made all the difference in the world. In case you are interested, one of our most expensive items was a DIS module for say a 93 Buick 3.8L, our selling price to the OE was $6.47, had a rather complex ASIC circuit in it, price was still way too high. Entire plant was automated, laying down SMC at 20 parts per second, ultrasonic lead bonding at a rather slow 4 per second, 120 point or over computer test in 3/4 second. If a reject was found, was just pitched way too expensive to repair.

I know it takes me a half a day to remove my own radiator cap, but in production, an entirely different story and was typical to spend an extra month or two engineering just to bring the unit price down a cent or two.

Not blaming the dealers for the price they have to charge, one of the biggest culprits is the IRS charging huge taxes on parts laying on the shelve, plus their property tax is enormous, and if they own money to the bank, they are getting robbed there as well not too mention liability and health insurance cost plus the heat and the lights.

One darn good reason for moving to China, you don't have the EPA, OSHA, DNR, IRA, and ERA breathing down your neck.

TalkingDreams

Jim: The car WAS totaled from the hail damage…at least that is what the seller says. The Car Fax report has three different lines where they report any “Title Problems”. It looks like this:

Salvage/Junk/Rebuilt Alert! Problem Found
Fire/Flood, Hair Damage, Buyback/Lemon No Problem
Not Actual Milage/Exceeds Mechanical Limits No Problem

If there is a line to check for Hail Damage, and the car was totaled strictly from hail damage, why isn’t THAT line the one that is checked? I asked the guy and he said he doesn’t know how car fax works or why they list things like they do. He is supposed to send me photos of the car in its damaged phase. He did say the title actually says it was “salvaged”.

Greasemonkey: I don’t get rid of a car unless it has been pronounced dead. My worry is that this car might have so many problems I’ll wish it were dead!

Kev2: A car fax is $25 for one search and $30 for unlimited searches over a 30 month period. I did get a car fax and the info does not seem to match what the seller is telling me. I’m very bummed. It’s a 2006 Impala.

NickD: I was looking at your numbers so I did some research to find out what amount of damage qualifies a car as “totaled”. I see there are some states where the insurance company will total a car if the damage exceeds 50% of its value. Other states go as high as 90% before they call it totaled. In doing this research I also learned that problems with rental cars don’t show up on a car fax report! This is because the car fax folks get their info from insurance databases, but rental places insure their own cars so their info doesn’t make it to car fax. I had no idea!

I think this deal is too good to be true. The car is located FAR away from my home. Who knows if it would even pass inspection after I spend 8 hours driving it back to my state? You guys have talked me out of it. Many thanks for all of the input.

I guess my search will continue, but now my options will be VERY limited, because I’m excluding rentals and more than half of the 2006 on the market now, were rentals. Oh why couldn’t I have been born rich instead of just beautiful? :'(

NickD

wrench
I don't have much faith in CarFax, just a database based on peoples word and reports, would rather see the vehicle with my own eyes. My first choice for a used vehicle is going to a new car dealer, what they take in on a tradein that's crap heads instantly for the auction yard, and it's that stuff you find at used only car dealers. If I got screwed and did, was buying from private parties, most people I met will say anything to sell their cars and worse than even the used car dealers. With a dealer can get the car for three days and either look it over yourself or pay a known good to you mechanic to look it over, before you sign the dotted line. Thing is to keep on shopping and don't be afraid to offer a low price. Last car I purchased got for 400 bucks higher than tradein value from a dealer. First he laughed at me, then I say goodbye, before I got to the door, he said, wait and we made the deal. According to Kelly's high mileage vehicles are worth practically the same as low mileage vehicles, stay away from high mileage vehicles, they do wear out and worth it to pay a couple of bucks more.

Sometimes you have to pray to find a good car at a fair price, and sometimes, that works.

wap

GO MOUNTAINEERS
let's see here Nick. No faith in carfax, no faith in the U.S Government or economy, no faith in a fair market-based economy. Seems like you might be buying some real estate in China......hmmmm.....what do you think of Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny? You are an interesting sort, Nick. I think you ARE tryin to 'stick it to da man.'