Harbour Freight Torque Wrench????

Has anybody had purchased / confirmed accuracy of Harbour Freights cheap torque wrenches:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=239

Save your money and buy a real torque wrench.
Those are the cheapest of cheapest.
While they may work and be accurate (for a few times anyway), they are not of the greatest quality.

I can sell you this one for $98.00
http://www.kd-tools.com/34593460.htm
http://tools.batauto.com/index.php?crn=221&rn=409&action=show_detail

While it may seem a little expensive, the quality is 10 times what you are looking at.

I will second what Tony said.
That ten dollar one could cost you a lot of money if used for anything more then assembling the kids new wagon.

JUNK
My craftsman torque wrench is better than that. I really like the snap on torque wrench that you can angle the head. Rember Snap On is not cheap, but their quality is very high.

Ford_Dude

0rion

Don't walk away from that torque wrench....run away from it. Actually, after the 2nd use when it quits working it comes in pretty handy as a breaker bar. ::)

seen them used them recomend them for the DIYer, this tool is not the same as the older el cheepo's ...

Its stamped Pittsburg tool ?? would be interesting to see the manufacturing tree on this .....who else buys from china inc and stamps their name on it.

Even in retirement several years my experiance with snap on still pisses me off, on par with lawyers, politicians and used car salesman.

jay

Forget the Harbour Freight crap and get you a torque wrench that will give you accuracy and some useful life.
I have used Husky brand clicker wrenches for several years after getting recommendations of their quality and accuracy. Huskys can be bought at Lowes Home Improvement for about $65.
I recently got a 3/8 and 1/2 drive Clicker from Snap on for about $108 each through the local auto tech school tool program with snappy.

T

tech

Have checked a few of those at work and would not want one if it was FREE. No repeatability with what you set. Buy one and it will cost you big time. Bite the bullet and buy one from BAT tool store. You'll be happy and so will Tony. Trust me, Ray

autodr

Harbour Freight has some really good stuff at some really awesome prices. But they also have a lot of junk too. I have a Harbour Freight store here in town that I shop at a lot. I saw that torque wrench, I passed on it.

0rion

autodr said:
Harbour Freight has some really good stuff at some really awesome prices. But they also have a lot of junk too. I have a Harbour Freight store here in town that I shop at a lot. I saw that torque wrench, I passed on it.
I look at harbor freight as a good place to get stuff you'll only use once in a blue moon. I got a good deal on a tranny jack there. Is it the best quality? Nope, but it got the job done and quite a bit cheaper than a name brand jack. I learned my lesson there a while back.

ironhead

I bought a China special to have at home. Putting a 302 Ford together, I stripped 2 rocker arm bolts out of the head... Must have been bad threads in the head.. Helicoiled them and all was well. Then a couple of months later, I stripped the Spark plug out of a Wankle snowmobile engine... That turned into a major problem. 1 month after that, the above 302, that was now in my Bronco, lost a head gasket. Took it apart and found a broken head bolt... Checked my torque wrench and it was over-torquing by about 40%. I figure that $30 tool cost me about $1000 by the time I was done.