Hard start on 2004 Buick Park Ave

The fuel pressure could be checked if I wasn’t stranded at a taco bell right now, really hoping the fuel pump job isn’t 1200

My fuel pressure is 52 psi when i attempt to start my car, I Reattached the vacuum hose where it was broken and there are no more leaks. Car came close to starting but is still just cranking, once I get the vehicle started I will record the psi once again, but everything seems to be lining up with what you guys have said. Please don’t use my lack of experience as an excuse to not give advice. I’m a quick learner and I am very focused on getting my car to work. Thank you all

How is your coolant level? Have you had to top it up? Sometimes the 3.8 manifold melts by the EGR inlet and coolant starts to leak into manifold airway, which fouls out the sparkplugs.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Please don’t use my lack of experience as an excuse to not give advice.
You know what Matt, I can't rap either, and prefer my life that way. ;)

@ 52ish, that car should start all day, but in the video you nicely took the time to provide for us, I see a fuel pressure regulator with NO vac line attached. So fuel pressure reading will be ok at valve, but you are not regulating if no vac there. The attached line you are fussing with in the video is for the canister purge valve. It is also vac related and can cause your problem.:bat::bat:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hint, if you run the engine for awhile, disconnect the vac line a reg, do you smell or see a drop of gas?, if so, need a new fuel rail/reg. Point blank. IF pump is showing 52ish at first on key, pump is PRIMING.

Now that WE KNOW that, fuel restriction, or fuel pressure drop AFTER pump. Easy way, use kit you rented, should have a dump valve on the kit to measure flow rate. If flow rate is good, injectors, regulator, or a plain gunked up rail.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I say this often here, cuz I really liked to read stuff when I was a kid, and it boiled over into my 40ish.

When you eliminate the possible, all that is left is the improbable. It is a math question of sorts.

Without the math. ;) Being intelligent does NOT mean your smart.

So, @ matt who can't rap, I sincerely hope, I never see a comment like this from you again, you are only as stupid as the question that was NOT asked. :eek:

I have been on this site for over a decade now, the folks here have seen me go through divorce, toxic issues with GF's and even seeing me freeze my balls off at -55c for extended periods of time wondering why my froot loops cost 6$ a box. .

Never, has this site let me down in the f u dept.

So don't give up on us, we won;t give up o you. I come here free of charge, as most wrenches who take the time to post, such as Dan, solid guy. Bill solid guy, grc took awhile, he did not like my songs and atheist behavior, but he came around to understand, this is not a normal site. I believe, as a general feeling, this site is not a $$$ pit. Quite the contrary.

I absolutely love Kev2 and Jim. And who can forget Jack. Shyte I like to do as a hobby. That firebird was sweet. I am under a NDA for taking pics at work. It is high end of sorts, and ppl dont usually like us to take pics of the ride.

Anyway, your comment gave me time to reflect, and it reflected positive. You took the TIME to make a vid, goes to show. You did more in one thread than half the folks that come here. 20190815_073935.jpg ContactsPhoto9223372034707292161.png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So now that I have hijacked thread, here goes. Client said it cost mucho dnero for white interior. Some thing in the 10 000$ cad range. WTF!!??

Cop car in the back is normal, we do the fleet. Only two chargers left AWD. Rumor is we are going to service hemis, since ford and gm dropped out. But cool pic when yo see a interceptor car next to a first gen muscle. 20190815_073945.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Some ppl don't realize this, but it takes me hours to translate technical stuff, and I always get bit because my first language is french canadian. So some comments of mine get mis construed often. Or, I am belly up in beer and legal cad chassis THC.

If Kev think 20% of this is a rant, he is f ing right.

I often use this site as a dump for my emotions. And you know what? I get satisfaction every time. Because I feel there is a real community foundation here.

Can't wait for the water cool pc, will TRUMP my old political seriousness. @ Matt, just keep doing what you are doing, we/us/I will do our best.

As more me, that is A promise. Since I am going to hell in a hand basket, might as well take as many I can with me in the (I like car depot)

Ha, I actually learned this tune, not f ing easy. o_O

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Shyte, forgot my ocd. My son takes concerta. WTF that is?. I think it is legal speed for kids. Out of my hands, f how to be a good father when your hands are tied.

Focus on yes, getting car up, running, making paycheck. 100% agree. No way around that, but taxi coop is expensive.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Please, let's try to get this back on track!

The broken vacuum line has been fixed, but what about the "bad battery" issue? Has that been fixed, what was the problem there?

Is the trouble-code history being monitored during all this? Have codes even been checked for?

I'll add to the chorus... this seems likely to be a fuel pressure problem, and a gauge must be left connected and visible to observe so that you can see what the pressure is at the moment a problem symptom pops up.

Aside from the rants/debates distracting from the objective here, there are some gross errors in them. The errors are not pertinent to the (probable) FP problem here, so I will ignore them in this thread. PM me if you want details.

The vac line was detached because it was broken and I removed it. Jerry rigged some vacuum boots and new line to the original line mounts and closed that connection. I don’t believe I have a coolant leak because none of my spark plugs had any signs of moisture or stickiness when I removed them. I can check my coolant level. In response to the rants and me feeling foolish, I liked what you guys were posting on other threads which is why I’m here. Felt like there was some major doubt coming from Kev2 but please keep ranting to a minimum, it’s difficult to pick out the information I need to focus on and learn when there’s so much excess conversation occurring. The problems with my battery: my negative connector was terribly corroded and I stripped the cable and rethreaded the connection to a new battery mount. Shortly after my battery died (too many power cycles, trying to jump it to get it started, etc) and had to be replaced on 10/19. So I have clean connections and a new battery, they were concerned with whether or not I lost my codes with the old battery, but my check engine light has turned back on and off so there may be new codes if the old ones were lost. Thank you all