Hard start on 2004 Buick Park Ave

Quick overview of what I’ve done. Oil filter under the car, battery replacement, battery mount replacement, repaired vac line near fuel pressure regulator
and brand new spark plugs in all cylinders

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, the battery and vacuum hose issues are gone now. What about code history? Really, though, I think several of us are strongly suspecting fuel pressure. Getting a handle on that is going to be essential, even if you have to buy a gauge. A cheap one from Harbor Freight will be good enough.

I am unable to use the .mov files, so am crippled in trying to help. Simple jpg, bmp, or pdf are what I need to view things.

OK, the battery and vacuum hose issues are gone now. What about code history? Really, though, I think several of us are strongly suspecting fuel pressure. Getting a handle on that is going to be essential, even if you have to buy a gauge. A cheap one from Harbor Freight will be good enough.

I am unable to use the .mov files, so am crippled in trying to help. Simple jpg, bmp, or pdf are what I need to view things.
I checked my fuel pressure and when I primed the pump it was 52, do you mean the fuel pressure measurements from when the car is running?

I checked my fuel pressure and when I primed the pump it was 52, do you mean the fuel pressure measurements from when the car is running?
And the video was just going over the vacuum line repair and connector I did, I can see if I can change the file

billr

wrench
Staff member
You need to be able to check the FP while a problem is happening; the engine cranking and not firing or starting to die while running, or running very poorly. That means you will need a gauge that you can keep for a while, and with a hose long enough to tape the gauge on the outside of the windshield to observe while driving. The pressure at "key-on" is a good first step, but hardly definitive unless it fails that test.

My car is back to hard starting and won’t turn over. It’s been sitting all day. Would checking the fuel pressure while I try to crank the engine be good information ?

Okay I’ll take care of that, but hopefully it starts up and I can just get the fuel pressure while it idles. My car has no issues while running, quite the opposite, starting it is the only issue. there’s no issues I need to take note of while driving, do I still need to thread the gauge up to my windshield so I can keep track? Cuz unless I can constantly bleed it, I don’t see how those recordings would be accurate or pertinent (in response to Billr)

Alright my fuel pressure went from 59 to 48ish from when I primed the pump to when I started my car, it was idling at about 49 PSI, good fuel flow when I bled the line on the pressure gauge. And,, the vac line I repaired has no audible or visible leaks. Does this information help move us a long at all? I’m going to take my pressure again after driving the car around for a bit