Hard To Start

jorguez1167

I own a Malibu Chevrolet 2004 with 75k miles. This car has been giving problems since I can remember. But today on top of hard to start is got the engine light on or service engine soon. Is this a common problem with this car? Any one with the same problem? Thanks for all your help.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
If the check engine light is on there is a code stored in the ECM....Take it to Autozone and get the codes read and post them back here..It might also help us find out why it is starting hard....Jim

jorguez1167

troubleshooting P0128
Definition:
Coolant temp is always low

Explanation:

The powertrain control module verifies that the engine is at proper operating temp.

Probable cause:
1. Check coolant level
2. Thermostat defective
3. ETC (engine coolant temperature) sensor defective

Those are the code that came out of Autozone tech.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
You didn't say which engine...If it is the 2.2 check the connector on the coolant temp senor to make sure it is ok and also make sure the coolant is full in the radiator..Could also be a bad coolant temp sensor...could be why it starts hard....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

jorguez1167

chevrolet malibu v6 3.5 2004

I think these are two different problems here.

1. coolant related problem

2. Hard to start problem

Solution for hard to start problem= A common problem with the PASSlock system is lock lubricant contaminating the inside of the ignition switch and covering magnetic fields. The new key may have had a “cleaning” effect. If it acts up again, remove ignition assembly and clean it with a non-oily cleaner, wiping off any residue. If this doesn't work you will likely need a new ignition switch.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
The coolant temp sensor is like a choke on a carbureted vehicle...It can cause hard starting if it is bad...You need to fix the code for the sensor,then see if it helps....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gus

wrench
If coolant temp is the same as ambient air on a cold start, the sensor seems to be ok......have seen way more thermostats cause the P0128 than a coolant temp sensor....

You may come to a stop, or be in traffic and the temp looks ok....but drive it on the highway and you will find the temp drops to 178F.....the code sets, because it takes too long for the car to get to normal operting temp.....if you start the car and immediately go on the highway, it may not reach it or take a long time until it does....

If you think you have a PassLock problem, the car cranks but won't start, spray carb cleaner into the intake.....if it starts and continues to run as long as you spray, and then dies when you stop spraying, and fuel pressure is ok, the injectors are not being fired....check for BCM codes 2958 and 2960....

jorguez1167

I will start with by replacing the thermostat($7.99 @ autozone). If engine light does not go off, Next will be the temp sensor ($35 dealer item). I will post with any more information while doing this jobs. Thanks a lot for the info.

jorguez1167

Thermostat is replaced. I can see the temperature gauge needle steady beetween hot an cold temp. The only thing the engine light stayed on. I am sure it will go away in a couple of days. (I hope) I will keep post on this car in relation to this problem. Thanks for all your help.

ironhead

It may be best to have the code cleared, then see if it returns. They can be a little stubborn when it comes to clearing on thier own, and even if the light does go out and the problem is solved, if you get another failure in the future, that code will still be in history which can lead a mechanic in the wrong direction when he tries to diagnose the new problem.
Guy