Head Gasket?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I know this is an open thread, but @ mikerzer, just wanted to say kudos for keeping that van for your pops. The world needs more ppl like you.

My father is still very good cuz he is a BJJ instructor. I only wish I never have to buy a van for him, but hey, as a son or daughter, we do what we need to do.

So that was just me saying nice on you and wanted to put that out there to you.

And I almost choked on my morning coffee when I read this.
I hope I didn't mess up. Can you tell me which cylinder head is considered Left and which is Right? The head gaskets are marked L and R. I put the R on the rear head, thinking that if the front of the motor was turned facing forward, that cylinder would be on the right side of the vehicle.

The rule of thumb here is yes, left in regards to crankshaft. :bat:

Thx guys for the laugh. It was a good one and in good taste.

It reminds me of an apprentice of mine who did not heed the subaru warning. Those engines as most here know are H type engines, he put the head gaskets in reverse way, car started but spewed oil. Had to start all over again. Even to this day, when he sees a subaru, he magically needs to go to the shyter. :eek::rolleyes:

NickD

wrench
Back in the good old days, could buy an overhaul Victor gasket set for around four bucks, not only for your engine, but for two other similar engines. They did this to keep inventory down for their dealers.

When taking your old engine apart, had to carefully remove each gasket and match it with the one in the box and also for most V-8's had left and right, could mark those two. Then you also had enough gaskets for two more vehicles. But if none of those around, pitch more gaskets than you actually used.

See they want as much as 40 bucks for just two head gaskets and another forty because you also have to replace the head bolts.

Automotive companies didn't know crap about aluminum head bolts, gasket failure was common, it took a private company like Fel Pro to come up with torque to yield head bolts, but they can only be used once.

Kid has a 2014 T&C, looks like a half a days job just to replace the spark plugs, wonder what a shop will charge, and will they put everything back together again the way they took it apart.

Getting way too old, told it beats dying, but no more V-6 or 8 for me with FWD, can't bend over that far for the rear bank

Ha, with 30's and 40's cars, would just spray the head gasket with aluminum paint and reuse them dey don't make em like dis anymore.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
I know this is an open thread, but @ mikerzer, just wanted to say kudos for keeping that van for your pops. The world needs more ppl like you.

My father is still very good cuz he is a BJJ instructor. I only wish I never have to buy a van for him, but hey, as a son or daughter, we do what we need to do.

So that was just me saying nice on you and wanted to put that out there to you.

And I almost choked on my morning coffee when I read this.

The rule of thumb here is yes, left in regards to crankshaft. :bat:

Thx guys for the laugh. It was a good one and in good taste.

It reminds me of an apprentice of mine who did not heed the subaru warning. Those engines as most here know are H type engines, he put the head gaskets in reverse way, car started but spewed oil. Had to start all over again. Even to this day, when he sees a subaru, he magically needs to go to the shyter. :eek::rolleyes:
Thanks, Bro.! Dad taught me how to work with my hands...and my brain. There are very few people on this earth that I would do something like this for. :)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
for those who dont know, ed was a mentor to those that liked karate

I was never given title of sensei, I was to crazy and liked splitting lips. My father is a full blown sensai, and he frowns on me when I use executive force.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
Short tap in a deep hole. The video above shows how I managed to use a 3 1/2" long tap to chase the threads in the outer head bolt holes, which were a little over 5" deep. The 1/4" drive extension just did fit in the holes. There was a bit of slack, as the end of the tap was 7mm rather than a true 1/4", but it worked well.

I tried to find a long tap, but M11 x 1.50 is an odd size. The soonest I could get one here was September 2!

Last edited:

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
FIXED!!! After several weekends (and a few weekends off) over two months, I finally got it back together today. It purrs like a kitten, and runs like a scalded dog! Thanks everyone for your advice and assistance!