Headlights 1991 Dodge Dynasty

pressman1965

:( over the last 3 years I have had this problem of my head lights blinking off and on it will go sometimes
months and not do it have had the car checked over several times with no luck from different shops
I just went all summer with no blinking and the other morning it started doing it again 6 times in all
and when you are on the road at 3am in the morning the only thing I have noticed that it did it that morning when the weather was cool 49 degrees and the voltage was up on the gauge instead of
where it usually is level between the two lines where it is all the time when the weather is worm
I need help I'm completely lost

PS: when they start to blink I turn the headlights off and back on this works for several minutes then start doing it again

kev2

wrench
often headlights are on a fast reset circuit breaker - the blinking has me thinking the is a short - wiring- issue.
Try this operate vehicle with only parking lamps try tp duplicate the conditions... any flashing of the circuit?
then start using the hi beams - low beams tring to isolate it even more..

A visual of the l and r head lamps wiring...

remove the headlight switch - smell it - if there is a damaged circuit in the switch you will know.

I always ask - is it STOCK - any added electrical?

I will try to add a wiring diagram RUT this being a 1991 - can't say it will be easy to find.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi, I am going to assume it has a 3.0l, it should be same regardless of engine.

I was hard pressed to find a wiring but found this. See ACE 3.

Now you want to wiggle test, also try to note if this occurs when hitting bumps or when car bottoms out. I have seen this on older newyorkers and similar. I hated those talking cars BTW :ROFL

The fuse links bellow or around battery would stretch loosing contact and coming back after vehicle flex. Check the grounds also. Do the headlight covers still work? These had mucho problems. Also column switch. Anyways, try to wiggle test all wiring going to headlight assemblies, see if you can get them to quit on you.

In ACE 4, I also noticed the lamp outage module. Powered by fuses # 3 an #4 10amp.

Also check power distribution center/bus bar. 50amp supplies vehicle lamps, check the splice going to front lighting.

Have you noticed if all front lighting goes out at same time?? Also read that voltage meter in dash spikes when this occurs. Did I read that right??

Post back, this took me awhile to get this old info. Those wiring are all over the place. Back then, wee still used manuals. :ROFL

Attachments

pressman1965

sorry with the late reply every wire fuse, switches, checked.headlight switch replaced I have checked everything and had 3 auto repair shops do the same. it will do this even when car is not moving I
can get them to flash when the high beams are on the running lights and dash lights don't flash
and never have could this be from voltage being to high when the weather is cold as I said in my first post I want to try a new battery and Dodge Dynasty's are noted for corrosion in the
wiring at the Battery pos. and neg.ground I have been told

Mobile Dan

wrench
Problem only on HI beam? You could rewire it so that the HI beam circuit powers the bulbs with dedicated relays.

greasemonkey

May have a defective high/low beam switch. Next time it happens try switching the headlamps to high/low or just wiggle switch and see if it changes anything if it does replace it. HTH greasemonkey :)

pressman1965

my Dynasty has the all in 1 turn signal, wiper, cruse, and hi/lo beam switch which I replace lights flash on low beam when just using low beam only and when I am using high beam only all wiring has been checked
that's why I lost amp volt in dash does not increase or decrease when lights flash I only notice a increase
when the weather is cold I went all Summer without a problem but when weather got colder problem started