HELP!!!!!!

I have a 1999 Olds Delta '88 LS. Apparently, the car is double shifting where it jerks very hard when shifting gears. My tranny guy says a code appears P0746. I had him replace the tranny with a remanufactured one from the GM dealer. He claims that it is not the transmission, but the computer. He said he cleared the code and the Service Engine light went out and the car rode fine. However, a few minutes later, the light came back on and it started jerking again. How do I fix this problem?

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I am not quite sure I understand, You have a tranny guy. You made him change the trans even though he told you the trans was not the problem and the problem is still there. You are not listening to him, a man you trust to work on your car and who has the history of your car, but you will listen to strangers who have no idea what you may or may not have done to your car? I do agree that you need help. Transman

No Sir... :)

My friend took the car to Aamco to put it on their diagnostic machine....no one changed the transmission out. When they told me what my choices are which all included dropping my tranny out, I refused. I then got in touch with my tranny guy and he says that the code that he received was P0746. He isn't sure about what to do. He says that when he turned off the Check Engine light, the car rode fine but a few minutes later, it came back on and the car started jerking/double shifting again. He believes it is in the brain. Is it possible to purchase a brain for my car through a junk yard? Or, better yet, how would anyone handle this issue if you were in my shoes?

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
SugaMomma said:
I had him replace the tranny with a remanufactured one from the GM dealer. He claims that it is not the transmission, but the computer.
I can only go by what you posted, it says you had him replace the trans with a reman from the dealer.
You will have to do a great deal more diagnostic work before you shoot the brain. The computer makes decisions based on inputs from many sensors and if ANY of those sensors fail to work properly how do you think the computer will work? Replacing the computer at the start would be like putting out the trash bag with only one gum wrapper in it.
I cannot even tell you how to proceed as there is not p0746 code for that vehicle.
It really looks like this repair might be a bit over your head and it's obvious that it is over the head of your tranny guy. You need to find an honest and competent repair facility. One that is comfortable with the scanner and all it's uses and can read transmission data. This does not mean aamco or cottman but a shop you trust and is up to the task at hand. Ask around, ask your friend, relatives, counter person at the deli, everybody you meet. Find out how much they charge for diagnostics and go to the shop and interview them as if you were hiring them, you really are but most people don't look at it that way. Transman