hickups and a stall

hoader

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus with 110,000 miles on it. The check engine light has come on occasionally and the computer code retrieved was P0300 Random / multiple cylinder misfire detected. The problem wasn't hard to live with. Today I was driving home when the car did several hiccups and loosing power. I was just leaving a small town so I was tryng to accelerate to 55 but was slowing. Barely pressing on the pedal was the best I could get out of the car. Then the engine died and a message appeared on the dash to "Check Transmission". I turned the key off and waited a few seconds, restarted the car and it behaved fine. I got the codes and the P0300 was still there. The new one is a P0191 Fuel rail pressure sensor CKT range Pref. I drove the car 40 miles since then and felt no problems. I took it to a car wash and washed the engine and got it wet. I then started the engine - no problems - and saw no sparks (it was after sundown by now) so the plug wires seem good. My wife is now afraid to drive the car. Does anyone out there have any ideas what to try next?

Sorry I rambled on so much but I needed to convey its problems with performance was so far apart happening once in a great while. One of the hardest type problems to diagnose.

jay

Start with the basics; have the sparkplugs ever been replaced?

Russ

I had this problem once. Does the tack jump and buck around 3000 rpm's? You have to drive it a little hard to find out. If it does, Replace the cam position sensor. It is located where you would normally find the distributor. There were no codes during this episode. You also may need plugs if it hasnt been done. they say 100k, but I usually hit it around 80k.

hoader

Yes it does. The engine seemed so quiet I couldn't believe it was running that fast. I guess because it wasn't ;). I have new plugs, wires, fuel and air filter ready to go in. Then I plan to reset the computer and wait for the next error. Is this sensor only available from the dealer? It seems to me this could cause the random multi-cylinder misfire.

hoader

I have installed a new air filter, fuel filter, plug wires and plugs. I am still getting the random multi cylinder misfire code. When I go down rather steep hills under 50 mph, I usually downshift. There is usually a stop sign at the foot of the hill. I am not as diligent as I should be in shifting back into overdrive. Acceleration up to normal road speed goes smoothly but when I let off to maintain speed is when it acts up. The engine is running around 3,000 rpms. The car runs smoothly after I shift back into overdrive. There is still times in overdrive that the engine acts up but are barely noticeable. I guess 55 in drive is the worst case scenario.
Thanks hoader :-\

hoader

I posted the last message leaving out a detail. The old plugs showed a small amount of abrasion for the miles they had. They were clean and a medium gray color and no large deposits. I found a nest of some kind under the intake manifold. I removed the debris and inspected the wires; nothing appeared to be chewed. It must have been there since we bought the car since we drive so often. It was used from the dealer with 21,000 miles on it.

hoader

More updates!
M wife is concerned about its dependability. We took the car to a Ford garage. They gave the computer some kind of update that is supposed to fix 2 errors on the car. #p0 300 and #p0 316 are supposed to be fixed now. They however, found a few other errors. P0430 cat below threshold bank 2. They gave me an estimate for 2 sensors and one converter plus labor is $2363. 30 plus tax. :eek: I asked them if this ment the converter was plugged. They said they can't tell, there is a mismatch between the 2 oxygen sensors. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the converter. Is there a way to clean or troubleshoot whether the sensors are giving a correct reading? It is a bit too expensive to troubleshoot via replacing things then crossing my fingers to see if that will fix the problem.

I also have another problem. I purchased the fuel filter from Advance Auto and the parts guy explained how he changed his filter and showed me the new clips included with the filter. I broke the original clips trying to remove the filter. The new clips didn't fit correctly and one of them didn't hold the fuel line securely. The Ford garage recommends replacing both fuel lines from the tank to the engine on each side of the filter. They can do this for a mere $767. 36. Ford really does have a better idea.

Ford_Dude

wrench
They make repair kits for the fuel lines. Motormite makes them if I recall correctly. If you can not repair the damaged fittinh you may need to cut and splice in a section of line with a fitting on one end.

Ford_Dude

jigfeett

$.02 I have had a few come in with intermittants like this and it was the plenum gasket burned and sucking air when hot. $.02