High rpm power loss after a cold start. 2004 Pontiac Vibe

Hello!
This is the first time I've ever been in a forum so go easy on me. I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe which I love. This winter in Massachusetts has been a tough one and it seems like this year is when the trouble started. I have the 1. 8 liter regular engine (Toyota) and I can repair cars but don't know what this "new car" type problem could be. On cold mornings, say below freezing, it will get to it's high idle and when it gets to around 2200 rpm the motor suddenly drops rpms to around 1800 then back up again to 2200 then back down again etc. like it's hitting a rev limiter or something. This will cycle up and down for awhile and eventually stop when engine warms up and drops to a lower "high idle". It's driving me nuts! In trying to research this, I noticed someone has the same problem and even posted it to youtube! so I'm not the only one. It also looks like there might be a TSB #3171 (High rpm power loss after a cold start. ) addressing this but I'm not sure as I don't know what the actual TSB repair says. Can anyone please help with this problem? Thanks for listening!
Neil

Paul

I'm The Decider
How many miles on the vehicle?Look at the VIN and see if the 8th digit is a 8 or an L.Post which one it is.If you got that Tsb from NHTSA is not accurate.Neither Pontiac or Toyota have a tsb number that matches the one you posted.How well has the maintenance been on this vehicle?

Sounds more like an idle control problem than a power loss problem, a little carbon with cold temperatures can cause either the throttle or the idle control valve to stick.

Hello all,
  Thanks for writing back.    It is a code "8" engine with 40000 miles that I bought new and have maintained it myself with scheduled oil changes, etc.   and everything else the book says.    Just did front brakes, new tires.    And I always use Sunoco gas and Castrol oil.   Anyway I got the tsb info from a couple of websites including aboutautomobile.   com below:
TSB Number:3171 NHTSA Number:10010578 TSB Date:n/a Date Added to File:December 1, 2004
Failing Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling
Summary:
High rpm power loss after a cold start.  
So I thought it was the right one because it sounded like my problem. It will do it while your driving if you take off before totally warming up car. Please check out youtube video.   It's exactly what is happening to mine.    Search under Vibe high idle problem.   THANKS!!!

Me again.
Just to clarify when I say it even happens when I'm driving, I mean if I put the clutch in to downshift taking a turn or something (before it warms up) and it idles, is when it happens and if the car's sitting warming up. . . not while I'm actually accelerating or anything. Here is the youtube entry that shows my problem:
hxxp: www. youtube. com/watch?v=Ev8ZUbN5f8s
Thanks again for looking!

Gus

wrench
This is the only thing I could find:

#PIP3471: Cold Engine Idle Speed Information - keywords 1.8 controls DTC flare high LV6 LNK - (Jun 16, 2005)

Subject: Cold Engine Idle Speed Information

Models: 2003-2006 Pontiac Vibe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A momentary engine idle speed of approximately 2,000 RPM may be experienced after cold starting the engine. As the engine warms up, the engine idle speed will slowly decrease.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If there are no DTCs stored, use the Tech 2 RPM Control feature to command the engine speed from minimum to maximum RPM. If normal operation is confirmed with the Tech 2, this should be considered a normal cold idle characteristic of the vehicle.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Sounds like this problem may be a little beyond my tool limitations but I would like to thank everyone for their answers and support!!! :)