eddieguy

Make
Chevy
Model
Malibu maxx LS
Year
Miles
Engine
Guys i know i posted on this already but i lack the proper terminology i think to describe parts affected. I know nickb2 would say that he couldnt visualize the rad being damaged without there being damage to the condenser and he may be right i have not taken anything apart. But i think its possible damage is mostly rad and not condenser. When my car went into the ditch it took a lot of earth up under it. I think possibly a broken piece of plastic shroud punture the corner plastic of rad. I can see there is a broken plastic part directly under rad i think maybe coolant lines attach to it. I wouldnt think it would be too expensive being plastic. Maybe someone could help me indentify that part. Would like to know if i can put that said piece on topside fairly easy

eddieguy

I do respect nickb2's knowledge and exp but think the condenser may not have been damaged due to the fact that this was not a head on kind of contact wher you would hit condenser first but more of a up and underneath contact. I pulled a lot of mud and grass out from the rad to even see the hole. Im trying to decide if its a project i want to take on. One thing in my favor is i have the time just trying to see whats involved. Car has been running good up to this

grcauto

He wants to hear his vehicle isn't damaged as bad as it is. He messed it up and may be totaled.

eddieguy

What is your question?
My quetion was simply can you guys help me identify this cracked plastic part underneath the radiator? Gost the best pic i could with the rad still in. Il be taking the old rad out tomorrow and then I can get a better Close Up Pic

billr

wrench
Staff member
I can't tell what part you are talking about in that picture. I'll wait until you have the part out and by itself before hazarding a guess.

stu

Website
www.81x.com
My crystal ball and xray vision are being updated. Remove stuff for better viewing.

NickD

wrench

Could say bye bye to brass and copper radiators sides on these things are plastic, center is paper thin aluminum. Unrepairable, but a new is only in the 70 buck range.

Could use acid to clean the old ones, but not these new ones, acid will make it disappear into nothing.

Another 120 year old problem with these things, are placed in the front of the vehicle where they and the condenser pick up tons of bugs and debris preventing air flow. At times easier to replace them than to try to clean them.

On vehicles with some space between the condenser and grill, could angle nylon screen down, where the bugs hit them and drop off. But with this new stuff, no space between the condenser and grille. And the unibody design gave up the largest unrepairable throwaway part, progress?

eddieguy

MAN. That fan is busted up. That thing is totaled.
Has anyone done a rad swap on a 2004 or 2005? Im seeing conflicting post on the net where some are saying the whole front bumper needs to come off to some saying that bumper removal is not needed and that they were you able to get access by removing the exhaust manifold

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't know what is necessary, but I would sure go for the bumper rather than an exhaust manifold. There are several ways this could get worse if you fuss with that manifold...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Bump bill, I do these day in and day out as I am a supposedly trained ac guy. :rolleyes:

Dont cut corners, remove bumper wrap. Much easier to see what got damaged after that excursion you incurred.

Most likely from what I am seeing, probably better to source a rear ended car and grab what you need from there, the cars are a dime a dozen.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My quetion was simply can you guys help me identify this cracked plastic part underneath the radiator?
Eddie, we have talked before, even in private if my memory serves right, so you KNOW we are trying to help you.

We cant SIMPLY identify that as STU (who I miss BTW) said, crystal ball is left at home or in my gf f u thing.

My take, the fan should assembly is shot, as is the rad, condensor may be fine, a pressure test will define that.

BTW, still in NY and how is your bro doin?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm confused. Two of you have said the fan is busted, but I don't see anything distinctly wrong with it in the photo posted above.