Honda ignition parts - is genuine Honda advised?

LouNC

I just bought a pristine 96 Accord 4cyl 5-speed with 70k miles from the original owner who followed all scheduled maintenance. The only thing that doesn't appear to have been serviced on the car is the cap, rotor, and ignition wires. It is running fine, although there is a little idle shake.

I plan to pull the cap and rotor this weekend and check it out, but was curious about whether there is a preference for using genuine Honda parts here (Cap, rotor, wires), or a preferred aftermarket brand? I plan to use NGK plugs when they're ready for replacement.

Any suggestions for sources of parts (Honda and OEM)? My local dealer charges full retail for all over the counter parts sales.

Thanks,
Lou

Paul

I'm The Decider
Use the Honda parts.Even at 70K miles and 11 yrs old I doubt the wires are the cause.I would clean the throttle body,that may be the cause of the rough idle.The secondary igntion parts on those cars last well into the 100K mile range,except it wouldnt hurt to replace the plugs if they havent been replaced.By your own account you have a cherry Honda,why turn it into the aftermarket auto special.I would be more concerned about the timing belt given its age,thats if it hasnt been replaced.

James-Thornton

I Like the Idea of replacing with OEM speck, or Actual Honda Parts for your Honda. You do get what you pay for. You may be also be paying for a domestic parts maker to stay in the USA, also. You may not want to pay for this.

But, have never gotten plug wires, OEM, I Drive Fords, but Honda keeps my Brother-in-Law and Sister happy, "that are the correct length". They all seem to be a bit long to a lot long. I have never had a problem with breakage on the unsupported floppy area, end or loop area. I would appreciate comments on the,"The None Standard" OEM parts. Any thing comments on this finding would be appreciated.

Hondadude

I'd say go for the throttle plate clean, and you can also take the 2-12mm bolts out of the IAC valve and move it off the throttle body enough to spray out the screen on it.

Just don't let any dummies tell you to take the throttle body off and dunk it in cleaner

[attachment deleted by admin]

LouNC

Sorry for the delayed response, other emergencies have drawn my interest lately.

I would like to perform the throttle plate cleaning myself, I had considered this service in addition to replacing the ignition components.

Hondadude - what is an IAC screen? Any tips on ensuring that I clean the proper parts and don't damage anything in the process? I'm good at following directions!

Any advice on brands/sources for a good cleaning solvent? Should I only use something sold specifically sold as "throttle body cleaner"?

Thanks,
Lou