Horn no chirp when using remote key fob

larryed

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Chevy
MODEL:Silverado
YEAR:2003
MILES:162,324
ENGINE
:5.3 Liter
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I recently had great success on this forum with a problem activating my key fob. I sure appreciate the help you guys gave me. Now I need help again. When I lock my truck with the key fob it used to chirp the horn. It no longer chirps and I wonder if there is a fuse I need to look for? Thanks everyone, Larry

Consult your manual or the internet to find out if there is a easy way to reprogram the system to give you the horn chirp. For Jeep it is called "customer preferences".

Even with some aftermarket remote entries, had the option of switching on or off either horn beeping or head lamp flashing, or both. OE units on newer vehicles can be programmed for the same thing, with GM, usually in the radio, not just a radio anymore. Here that information can be found in the owners manual.

My preference is to switch all that off, annoying and wearing out more parts. With my kids, with a new digital toy, they seem to know how to find this stuff by playing with it, I have to read the manual.

Still no guarantee, by hitting the lock button, that all of your doors are locked, so depending upon where I am parking this thing, still check all the doors manually. Horns and door motors are inductive loads that generate a high flyback voltage, incandescent lamps have a high turn on surge current. The leaves a carbon like arcing the the point contact relays so they don't make good contact. You may hear a noise, but those contacts won't be doing anything.

We use to use all self cleaning sliding contacts for this reason, but these new kid engineers don't know anything.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I agree with my other colleagues Mobile Dan and Nickd here.

This most likely is not a FOB problem. If the remote unlocks and locks and does what it is supposed to do, try another one, there should be two that came with the truck.

From what I know, this can be programmed via the message center or as Dan said, using a scanner/tech2.

If the horn works when you push on it, then that circuit is fine. There is NO SEPARATE FUSE.

You have two systems on board. Anti theft/CTD and VTD. Those are two separate modules.

If you lost your manual, there are a lot of videos on boob tube.

Do you have the capacity to get body codes? They will appear with the prefix "U", not a "P"

But most cheap scanners cannot read U or C codes.

This thread will probably end up with a bad ground or a module driver issue.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ford uses a RAP module for this option. You need to investigate the BCM controls once you have established the basic functions are working from the FOB.

As Dan said, chrylser uses the customer preferences and the same is almost identical on a Tech 2.

I have seen so many grounding issues with these truck's, it's not even funny anymore.

But sometimes, it is something so simple as just your kids or your wife/GF that pressed the wrong button trying to find tune on the radio. Crazy, but happens all the time.

When I was working for GM, we would provide this for free if it was only a customer error.

This truck is no longer guaranteed, but if your a loyal client, they will check the horn chirp out, and if they can't do it under 2 minutes, you might not like the price tag on that one.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Funny story, once had to replace a brand new CD player because the kid had put pennies, nickles and dimes.

That, of course, was not a warranty fix. The father was pissed off big time. He had bought the best sound system option for this car, and I took that unit out and shaked it. Sure enough, change in there because kid's were left unsupervised. 1300$ fix for 2buck in change. :confused:

$.02 that is the proper way to set up the keyless entry system. NO HORN CHIRP !!!
They should worry about that needless pollution, should be illegal to configure that function .
there is NO F'ckin reason for that noise - the lights flash is the indicator that it activated- Why do I need to hear that god dam horn every time someone decides to be lazy- god dam ticket them I say- There is a emission test I will go for NOISE EMISSIONS...

Hey kev2...right there with ya with the horn chirp hatred. I was hesitant to give out info to enable a chirp. That sh:feedback:t is for the birds! I hope OP doesn't live in my neighborhood or yours. :oops:

Eric- I am a reasonable man...
Eric you are aware of the Milwaukee exceptions....
an old Harley with straight pipes is acceptable,
parking a motor cycle on the side walk- it fuck'in better be from Milwaukee !!

gotta tell ya - I love that bike of yours...

I behave fearing that hell has only jap motorcycles , DISCO music and no beer....

are we off topic yet :beer: