How to get into steering column....

Pete

Hi again to all!!!!
I volunteer and my church school and among other things I maintain as much as I can on the 3 buses we have. The one in question is a 95 Chevy G30 with a 150K and a 6.5L Y diesel.
Two things went wrong. One I need to replace the wiper/washer switch and two the hazard light (4-ways) switch may need to be replace but needs to be tested but I can't figure out how to get into the column without taking the steering wheel off. That is if I need to take it off.
The wiper/washer switch has a plastic insert just below it on the column so I tried to pry it out but stopped when it started to crack.
Can someone please give me some direction or diagrams? I'd again be most grateful so, please excuse my ignorance on this seemingly simple thing. The Haynes book doesn't say anything on this.
May God bless all you good folks for helping others out in need. :)
Peter

brcidd

The GM wiper motor circuit boards are known for bad solder joints- read down about the same thing on a '94 I believe- the circuit board IS replaceable- or if you are good with a solder iron- you can reheat the joints-- the test is to activate the wipers- then grab the plug att he motor- wiglgle it- if wipers start working- then you have the solder joint problem-- I have resoldered about 6 in the last 5 yrs- very, very common failure mode- I have yet to see the switch go bad.................

Pete
That thing should have a air bag and if so we can not help you on the switch replacement.
Forum rules on sir/air bags.
The all data sub would be your best bet on that.
You can test test turn signal switch at the wiring plug in on steering column without removing it.
Check the PDF below.
On the wipers as said the pulse board is a sore spot on them.
What is the wipers doing or not doing.
Also what is the problem on turn signals?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pete

No air bag on this bus Crunch. The wipers sometimes work and sometimes don't.
Hey brcid what about the hazard lights switch?
Also,where's this circuit board located?

http://www.batauto.com/Forums/index.php/topic,810.0.html

What are the turn signals doing or not doing.
You should be able to test them at the pdf plugin I posted.
Does the steering wheel have a big fat horn button/pad?
Any sir lights come on with key on bulb check?

Pete

Hey Crunch. It's not the turn signals it's the hazard light or the 4 way flashers. They don't work. The signals work fine. It looks like there are separate relays for each. I've tried a different relay to no avail.
Yes the steering wheel does have a big fat button pad!
No lights come on with the key on bulb check. I'm assuming that is Ignition on position.
Thanks so much and God bless!!
Peter

brcidd

Swap the "flashing units" what I think you referred to as relays-the turn signals have one and the hazards have one-- see if the hazards come to life. if so you have a bad flashing unit.............

Pete

Yup, I did that. Still no hazard but the signals always work. That's why I think it may be the switch.
Thanks so much for the quick reply brcidd!
I'd still like know how to access the steering column.
I'll pull the board and check for cold solders. I did that on the main relay for my Honda. I also got that tip from this site!
God bless,
Peter

Pete if it has a big fat horn pad there may be a air bag in it.
Does brake light work good?
Also play with the haszard flasher button.
Click on pdf for testing and wiring.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pete

Well, it's not big and fat. It's just well padded. I really don't think there is an airbag. There are no lites indicating as such.
Brake lite works.
I'll check this pdf out and report back Sunday.
thanks and as always, may God bless you!
Peter

Pete all I can say is enter it at your own risk.
But check it out good before replacing the turn signal/hazard switch.
I think they are kinda steep in price.
You might check the AZ site on how to on steering wheel and witch.
Good luck
Crunch

Pete

Nothin' at the AZ site on how to remove steering column. I think they are using the same Haynes book I have and IT doesn't have anything.
Anyhow, I'll post back. I don't think these cutaway buses can have an airbag. BTW, there is no SRS or any other kind of logo on the steering wheel. My Crown Vic has air bags and it has the SRS logo.
Take care!!

F

fix_it

There may not be an air-bag on this one. I remember from my dealer-tech days that trucks and vans from around that year sometimes were not equiped with them , though most cars were. If I recall correctly, the VIN plate will have the words "AIR BAG" under the number if it is equiped with the SIR system. But, I wouldn't trust the lack of this symbol to definetly mean there is no air bag. Anyway, if you go in, the steering wheel will need to come off. The 4-way switch is included in the turn signal switch. It is replace as a unit. I will refrain from saying more with the risk that there may be an air bag, although I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one. You need to be sure , as improper serviice procedures can cause injury or damage to the vehicle. Please be carefull, and if in doubt, refer to All-Data or you may find a manual at a large public library.