gullythumper

Make
chevy
Model
impala
Year
Miles
Engine
Bought this used 2006 Impala and both sunvisors are "loose" ( won't sty up) I'm going to replace them, but need advice on getting them out. They have a round plastic cover over the screw area. It has a slot , or separation. Do I put a small screwdriver in that slot and twist it, or does that cover come off some other way? I don't want to "experiment" and end up breaking the cover

paulo57509

Can you post a photo of where the visor arm/cover attaches to the roof?

NickD

wrench
This one

Is showing three recessed screws in the visor bracket, some have caps hiding the screws. Quit buying Chevy's buying parts all over from China, worse is getting a poor heater core that puts coolant fumes into the air, that will kill your kidneys.

GM use to be great when run by engineers, but somehow marketing and attorneys took over.

gullythumper

The screws are hidden by the plastic "cap" covering them. It's the plastic cap I need to know how to remove. Can't show the mounting without removing that plastic cap. With that off, I can surely easily remove the visor.

NickD

wrench
With all the tools I have purchased over the last 71 years, major tools now are plastic pry bars. Since law said add air bags, could move speakers to the doors to mount them in the dash, but not in the center of the vehicle. So that center was replaced by console. On some cars could only find two screws, rest was all snap together, had to remove it, only way to adjust the parking brake cable.

Saw two types of mounting for your 2006 sun visors ones with exposed screws, others with that snap on cover. Only want to unsnap when it hot, cold, will break into tiny little pieces.

If you say your sun visors are bad, can only wonder about the rest of the vehicle. With this stupid road salt, in particular when it eats the rocker panels off, only choice is the wrecking yards, but the sun visors are like new yet.

gullythumper

I tried to "pull" the visor off the rod it pivots on. Didn't pull too far, but it seems like it may come clear off. If it does, I'm going to put a piece of heat shrink on the rod, and see if that tightens it up. Otherwise it's off to the salvage yard. We have a U-pull it near here, so I can go get them myself

NickD

wrench
So your visor problem is, they are so loose on the shaft they fall down? That will kill me, so tall, can't use the darn things, well I could in my four foot high windshield in my motor home.

In 70 years of owning vehicles, never had problems with visors, always a first time.

gullythumper

yep, that's it. I tried to pull the visor off the shaft, but there's a stop in there preventing it from coming the entire way off. I'm going to try a bit of tape on the shaft and see if that helps. If not, it's off to the salvage yard

billr

wrench
Staff member
Can you force a sewing-type straight pin in the radial space between the shaft and plastic hole of the visor?

billr

wrench
Staff member
If the gap is that big, then there are lots of choices in finishing-nail/brad sizes.