Hyundai IX35 2013 Transmission problem, car stalls in reverse or drive.

thorsteinarg

Make
Hyundai
Model
IX35
Year
Miles
133k miles
Engine
2.0 gasoline.
Hello fellow members, I am having some trouble with my car that I would like help with to diagnose.
I am a mechanic with 7 years of experience, but lack some auto transmission knowledge.

I own an Hyundai IX35 vehicle, 2013 MY, 2.0L gasoline engine, driven 215.000KM.
The problem is, when I engage reverse or drive, the car wants to move forward but stalls unless I rev it up to around 2k RPM.
Read the car, no codes came up, looked at live data on the transmission and it seems fine.
It feels to me like the converter lockup is always engaged, live data says the lockup solenoid is off.

Could I be dealing with a stuck lockup solenoid?
Took a sample of the oil and it looks fine.
Really tempted to change out the valve body for a remanufactured one.
Auto trans name is A6MF1

All ideas welcome. Thanks!

grcauto

Does it slam when shifting into gear? Is it the same hot or cold? Does every time?

thorsteinarg

Does it slam when shifting into gear? Is it the same hot or cold? Does every time?
Shifts fine, but the car cannot be driven as it is, because the car just stalls when reverse or drive is engaged.
Does it everytime, when I move the shifter to reverse or drive, it just wants to move forward forcefully and bogges down.
It feels exactly like driving a manual, if you would put it in first gear, hold the brake but release the clutch slowly.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is air-check of the TCC, but that will probably require removing the pan and VB.

grcauto

Find in the wiring harness to the trans the wire that controls the solenoid and clip it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Cut a wire for doing diagnosis??? No, disconnect the harness to the trans or pull trans fuses. It is not likely, though, that the TCC is electrically "stuck", the PCM would detect that and set an appropriate code.

bp042665

transmission guy
ok if you have live data pull up tcc slip counter and it should match the engine RPM if its the same watch it as you put into reverse and drive it should drop alittle if close to 0 slip or under 200 Slip the you could have a cross leak in valve body at converter apply valve

grcauto

Cut a wire for doing diagnosis???
Not diagnosis. This is the temporary solution. Did it for my brother-in-law while waiting for him to make time to replace the solenoid. After three years he sold the car with cut wire as-is.