Hyundai Sensor problem

billr

wrench
Staff member
Was this vehicle built for the North American market?

kev2

wrench
You 'removed the honeycomb' Am I to understand you modified the Catalytic Converter ?

Explain to help us understand and help you.

Morning, find attached problem explained.

Regards

Ronnie Viviers
Retired
You 'removed the honeycomb' Am I to understand you modified the Catalytic Converter ?

Hi Guy's,

Bought the vehicle in Namibia and not sure for what market it was intended.

Engine VIN no : G4EDY888964 Chassis no : KMHDN41BR1U079329

Catalytic Converter removed and not sure if the bottom Lambda sensor is correctly fitted(spaced). The vehicle is very low on fuel consumption
but if if i clean bottom sensor reset ECM (disconnect battery) and start running again the consumption is 10 - 12 km/l with the slight miss fire or jerk
whilst driving slow at 1500 to 2000 rpm. No problem with engine power.

Thx in advance.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
"The vehicle is very low on fuel consumption"

Clarify that: do you mean it is low on fuel economy and high on consumption? Without a calculator handy, I can't reliably convert the km/l to mpg right not. Please, understand that if there is a language barrier here, we intend to be patient and not criticize your English, but I do want to be sure I understand the symptoms correctly.

Since this had a cat and lambda sensors, I'm expecting it also has a port for reporting trouble-codes. Have you found the port? Can you post a picture of that port? Have you tried to scan for trouble-codes?

There should be a sticker in the engine compartment, often on top of the radiator area or on the underside of the hood, that states what regulations it was built to comply with; what "market".

Is your primary problem that it is using more fuel than expected for this type vehicle?

Okay, I went to an online conversion utility and it looks like you are getting the equivalent of 23-28 mpg. Have you checked compression? What type fuel are you using? Are your riving conditions tame and on flat terrain, or are you climbing hills a lot and a fast driver? What are most of your typical speeds? Do you get caught idling in traffic a lot? Are you towing anything regularly?

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member

Clarify that: do you mean it is low on fuel economy and high on consumption? Without a calculator handy, I can't reliably convert the km/l to mpg right not. Please, understand that if there is a language barrier here, we intend to be patient and not criticize your English, but I do want to be sure I understand the symptoms correctly.

Since this had a cat and lambda sensors, I'm expecting it also has a port for reporting trouble-codes. Have you found the port? Can you post a picture of that port? Have you tried to scan for trouble-codes?

There should be a sticker in the engine compartment, often on top of the radiator area or on the underside of the hood, that states what regulations it was built to comply with; what "market".

Is your primary problem that it is using more fuel than expected for this type vehicle?

Okay, I went to an online conversion utility and it looks like you are getting the equivalent of 23-28 mpg. Have you checked compression? What type fuel are you using? Are your riving conditions tame and on flat terrain, or are you climbing hills a lot and a fast driver? What are most of your typical speeds? Do you get caught idling in traffic a lot? Are you towing anything regularly?

Lastly, I am assuming the "lower" lambda sensor is the one that is after the cat; between the cat and the tailpipe outlet. That sensor generally has nothing to do with the actual engine operation or fuel economy; it is there to monitor the effectiveness of the cat. I don't think there is much need to consider that sensor at all right now. However, if you are talking about the sensor between the engine and the cat, then that certainly does have to be discussed!

Hi Guy's,

Bought the vehicle in Namibia not use for what market.

Engine VIN no : G4EDY888964 Chassis no : KMHDN41BR1U079329

Catalytic Converter removed and not sure if the bottom Lambda sensor is correctly fitted(spaced). The vehicle is very low on fuel consumption
but if if i clean bottom sensor reset ECM (disconnect battery) and start running again the consumption is 10 - 12 km/l with the slight miss fire or jerk
whilst driving slow at 1500 to 2000 rpm. No problem with engine power.

Thx in advance.
Lastly, I am assuming the "lower" lambda sensor is the one that is after the cat; between the cat and the tailpipe outlet. That sensor generally has nothing to do with the actual engine operation or fuel economy; it is there to monitor the effectiveness of the cat. I don't think there is much need to consider that sensor at all right now. However, if you are talking about the sensor between the engine and the cat, then that certainly does have to be discussed!

Billr, thx for your reply, not so much a language barrier, i will ensure that my quotes makes sense as i missed that one. You are correct in saying the engine is high on consumption. This vehicle operates in town and i filled it today to check my consumption. I worked out to 11.26 km/l or 26.49 mpg. To me the indication are that the consumption is fine. Would you agree?
Yes i download faults when the light come on. Last problem were a faulty Co sensor at the exhaust manifold. I replaced it and the problem was cleared. I use the OBD2 Engine Diagnostic Tool. A App i purchased. Currently no fault codes present whilst running the vehicle. Port is below the steering column. I will include pic of connector.
I will check if i find a sticker under the bonnet and report back.
This vehicle only operates at sea level with no hills in sight. Only town traffic and driving on the open road never more than 120 km's/h (74.6 mph)
Primary problem it is fine on power but have a surge whilst driving at +- 1800 to 2000 rpm. My thought is, maybe the Lambda sensor position is
incorrect as i modified it in the exhaust pipe after the cat was removed.
Billr hope this will help you but shout if i need to elaborate more. Ronnie.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
It sounds and looks like this is an OBD2 system. There are presently no codes set; correct?

Again, I doubt the modified positioning of that lambda sensor is likely to be any problem; especially if no codes are being set. My guess is that the EGR valve is suspect, but that is only a guess, based on the "surging" and fuel economy that may be a bit lower than expected for a 1.6 engine.

Do you have live-data available? Later today some of the real pros may join in after their work day is done.

I would still like to confirm that compression is OK.

Jip no codes yet. All clear.
What is the EGR? Where will i find it?
Not sure how to setup maps on the OBD2 but will try to set it up tomorrow.
Will make a plan to record the cylinder compression and report back.
Thx for the help thus far Billr

billr

wrench
Staff member
"EGR" is Exhaust Gas Re-circulation. The EGR valve is usually mounted on the intake manifold or cylinder head.

I just tried to look for a picture of that valve, didn't find one. This engine may have "VVT" (Variable Valve Timing), in which case there is no visible EGR valve.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Aft cat air fuel sensor is gone or useless after so much fussing, innards of cat gone, long term fuel trims out of whack, 2001 style algorithm that wont code a readiness monitor for shyte, and Zimbabwe market to boot.

You could put a piece of cardboard on the egr port and it still wouldn't code.

Am I helping right now? I don't know, but I think I saw a elm code reader in there, if guy has more than a flip phone, this may be a promising thread. Does op speak french. Some do in those parts of the world.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
whilst driving slow at 1500 to 2000 rpm.
This is what we call a lean condition the pcm is trying to correct for because long terms are stretching out. It is missing because it is starving it self and correcting. I would not be sirprised if this car will suffer nice belches of raw gas. in any case, there is no longer a cat to cook. This guy is never going to get a usa, canada safe gas gusher this way, not even a korean rice burner as this. No way that code reader of his passes any monitors. \he is probably spending his time on the phone with the car erasing all freeze frames and adaptive memory on a stroke of midnight and removing essential parts of the obd2 system. I wouldn't be surprised at some this car will just end up another black piece of tape on check engine light.

I hate to say it, but car quest is way far in some parts. I know, and I was only up north, not in africa

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At Daniel, do you know what a drive cycle is, and if so, can you resit the urge to reset (disconnect bat) until you get all ready monitors green lit.

I highly doubt you can do that woth your current 2001 hyundai elantra of unknown origin.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, stop cleaning a aft "lamba sensor", it is useless if the "honeycomb was removed"

That was after all removed for a reason right?

Such as a plugged cat? Why did it get plugged?