I did it again, oh oh baby baby

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hm... that looks similar to my wife's thumb, that she crushed a couple of weeks ago. It split open in two places like a watermelon. It was start of weekend and we had no interest in dealing with hospital ER. She waited until the next Monday and called her doctor. They didn't even want her to come in, because of the virus panic, until a lot of phone discussion. The doctor finally saw it and said nothing to do except keep it bandaged just like it already was. And gave a prescription for antibiotics; but peroxide probably does as well (using that too)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
PS: it looks like you are poring over the 'net for a lot more than videos. You have found several sources of info for that TV far better than what I could offer! If you run into specific components that need to be identified, try me again.
will do, that google kit looks sweet, I will paypal or visa that tonight. And have put also an order in on this kit. https://www.amazon.ca/Nydotd-Magnifier-Helping-Magnifying-Soldering/dp/B07FP91YF3

I got a bit irate, gf left a note she is coming over after work and will throw the tv out.

I dont know, should I give in? Nope, I wont. My house, my stuff.

This site helps me compartmentalize. I cant believe I actually wrote that word with out google help.

Anyway, this site sure is dead, ppl have no money no funny. AND THAT IS TO BE EXPECTED

But maybe with some feeble attempts, when traffic get going again, these sort of sites will gain again, much like when I joined here back in 2008 with the housing crisis and all.

I just wish I would not have gotten on that bike. GF pissed off at me, I said, hey, what you gonna do. It is a done deal. I forgot to mention, I bought a nice golden neck-less for her, so that sweetened the deal.

I am just happy the ball joint seems to be fine. Very sore, but moveable. The skin split is more worrisome. Like I said before, I will probably just use the old boxer/army trick as I have done so before, NAIL POLISH. When I used to box or kick fight and get split, nail polish.

;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
super glue works also, but not as effective when actually bleeding.

@ bill r or others, what is the difference in a high frequency capacitor? I lack skills in this arena, and wanted to know, is this really an upgrade, or just let it be? It is not mesuring right, but that is because I am using a blue point auto meter. But some vids on net show how to test, but when I was in the EV courses before they shut down, they had meters for that.

Anyway, making candied bacon and greek salad, hope your wifes hand is on the mend.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Building capacitors involves compromises, like anything else. There is no way to make a "perfect" cap or inductor or resistor, there is always a trade-off of electrical properties; along with size/weight and cost constraints. A simple example is the common wire-wound ignition ballast resistor; that coil of wire on a ceramic block. It is mostly pure resistance; especially for DC use. But the current through an ignition coil is not pure DC, it "pulses" each time the coil dwells to build up magnetic field and then fires. So even this simple application has some AC to consider.

Those wire turns on the resistor are identical to turns on an air-core inductor as found thoughout electronics. If that resistor was used in a HF circuit it would show inductive reactance. So, HF resistors will never be built like that. Likewise, each of the adjacent turns in an inductor is at a slightly different voltage. Each turn-to-turn pair is and itty-bitty capacitor with air between the wires being the dielectric. As frequency increases inductive reactance of this resistor increases and capacitive shorting also increases.

Short answer? Caps are constructed different according to the electrical characteristics that need to be optimized for a specific application.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just me educating my self.

educational for the question I asked. see link

After a bit of perusing and reading found this.

It answered my question, but I would still like to thx you for your response. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Waiting on shop jimmy kit to come in stock. All the parts I may ever need for the pc boards are on this site, and all the sold out ones are the ones that seem to blow.

I donèt have a proper manual, just a google thing I found https://servicemanuals.us/lg/tv/50pm6700-tk-chassis-pa22a.html?start=36

The manual isnt complete unless I play the game. I wont so I can still most of the manual in demo mode. So if the capacitor does the trick, still waiting to get one, wont need the power supply rebild kit which comes with all the fuses, tranistors, caps and such.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I ordered a pc part 4 months or so ago, still not in, tracking says in transit, which probably means its in some container in a ups facility or something, so ordering a part from abroad right now, at leasy china, is out of the question. A co worker is having same issue on a set of rachteting wrenches, bought from china.

jigfeett

Ok keep us updated.
I might have one for you to think on.
It's a visio 65 inch and randomly the sound goes out then it shuts off.. We are still able to click the power button on the remote and it comes back to life. We don't have the means to just go out and buy another one with out incurring debt. Even though a 65 is not super expensive, My wife can suffer with a 55 inch tv.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
the short is probably in the main board sending the power supply in protect mode. If that is your tv, this kit is plug and play, dont even need to test nothing, just swap the boards. No brainer. If you can get that kit, for 65$ I would certanly go for it.

But try looking for bloated caps first.

Question, if you bring down volume to zero, does it still shut down and if so, you may just be looking at a power supply but sadly shop jimmy doesnt sell a pcb repair kit for that type of tv, just all the boards.

Anyway, hope you find a solution, you tube has a few vids on this one, but since I dont have the specific model number, I wont link to that yet until I get the #.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
update on the bycycle thing, it got infected. Woke up this weekend, thought all was good, then sunday, yestarday, started to get real painfull, red and hot and almost felt and looked like a prune was coming out of my elbow.

So went to doc again to day, funny, my shop forman was there for one of his girls, she had an ear infection. So didnt have to text or call boss, doc gave 7 days off. She called it a (bursite surinfectée) and I am not finding a proper traslation, I think maybe some of the ashpalt got in there and I didnt get it clean right away, and now it is just pissing me off.

So, now, a week off, contremaitre said I could take a week of leave for vacay, where else am I going this summer anyway, especially with my sister sick, my gf with new job, I said yeah, this is me on vacay.

Im ok with that, and added bonus, I may revamp some threads in the ev thread while I am at it.

The doc almost wanted to lance the elbow, I was all for it, but she said it is better to wait for anti biotics to kick in, if that dont work, they will lance it. I just want it done in typical man fashion. Old shool if I have too cuz I aint going to urgency for this, but it is a big problem for my job. Anyway, nuff said, bike is still up for grabs, I will even pay you to get it out of my sight. ;) ;) :p o_Oo_O

This is what it looked like this morning. Was able to bend and stuff, but sure is painfull. Trust, I aint no pussy, I wanted to exacto it myself, doc said that was a big no no. So I will take the seven day leave and hope it gets better. Message_1592822456578[1].jpg

Last edited: