I have a 03 Toyota Corolla. Want crank

Make
Toyota
Model
Corolla
Year
Miles
Engine
So just hear a click at the starter relay. I replace the starter and also test it to make sure it works. I replace the starter relay. Still just a click at the relay. I check the fuses under the hood and desk. Need help. I also check the grounds that I could find.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Got a voltmeter? You need to make four voltage measurements, done while the key is turned to try cranking the engine:

1) From starter case to the big terminal on the starter solenoid with the large cable on it that goes to the battery. This should be in the 11-13 volt DC range.

2) From starter case to the small wire on the starter solenoid, this should also be in that 11-13 volt range.

3) From starter case to the short, fat, cable/strap that goes from the other large terminal on the solenoid to the inside of the starter. That, too, should be 11-13VDC.

4) Lastly, from the starter case to the battery negative terminal. This should be near 0 volts, no more than 1/2 V for sure.

Post which of those don't read OK (I'm betting #2). Remember, these all have to be taken while trying to crank.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, this is an easy one. Nippon denso starter stuck due to solenoid contacts welded shut. .

Check test light if bat+ good on big terminal, yes, go to next step.

Have helper in seat and crank when asked to do so, the small black, one wire lead, is your ask to crank signal, if that good, test lights up, like 99% of time, need a new nippon denso shyte.

If your a bonzai guy, try to find a solenoid repair kit. Good luck on that one. They look like this, and kit should come with new plunger also.

Should look like this new. Yours will be fried and literally stuck bronze on nickel plate crap.
Here is a viable link to fix your corrola, and trust me, I am a Toyota fan, but like many car companies, each maker has thier go to problems. These nippon cars, are exhaust sucks, and starter and a;alternators suck also. Engines and tranny's, fuck, superman style stuff in Toyota.

Screenshot (46).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Don't do nick d stuff like take it apart and try to make military stuff. Just take a screwdriver to the two screws, pull the plunger unit out, unbolt plunger seat contacts, no welding or solder needed, this starter will crank for a good long while.

Classic.

Ok, bye now.

Ok it is the little wire coming off the solenoid (remote wire). I had someone turn the key and I just touch to the big power cable off the the starter and it cranks up. I have tried to chase the wire but don't see nothing broken. I ran two wire off both connections to inside the car so I can crank and drive it for now. Could it be in the key ignition?

Probably a bad switch. I have replaced several 2003ish Corolla ign switches that worked intermittently for a long time and then reached a point where they would not work even after many, many tries.

1566656934581.png One car owner wanted a cheaper repair, so I installed a "horn button" to substitute for crank function.
1566657198667.png

billr

wrench
Staff member
There are several devices in the circuit that powers that small wire to the starter solenoid (GM always used PPL for that wire, user "GMCguy"... hint, hint). Besides the ignition switch, it could be a safety interlock for neutral/clutch, a relay, or an anti-theft system. Did I forget any others? You either need to trace this point-to-point with a meter or bypass the whole circus with the scabbed-on switch discussed above.

Ok thanks, now I have another issue. I went to drive it today and will go in reverse and neutral but want go in drive, I must of done something just don't know what.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Are you saying the "won't crank" is now fixed? Did you fuss with the range-switch on the trans to fix it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ask any tech you know who does this job day in and day out. compared to any other car they/you fix, when was the last time you pulled a busted toy trans? Whether it be auto or manual. That is like almost never.

So you got reverse, somehow neutral is important for you, but not for diagnosing really. We do know it starts and fires now, and now have to concentrate on why no forward motion yet have reverse.

Can you back up at at least 15mph?

If yes, yet no forward motion, this is no longer a starter/PRNDL issue and we are delving into a trans issue. So now is the time to say, is it manual or not? Cuz an easy thing to check are the shift solenoids. But honestly, never seen the inside of a toy trans, they just don't go out like that.

Me thinks ops needs to answer a few more precise questions, and he will find the solution, he did, after all, get the car to crank and start. ;)

Last edited: