I have a dream. Advice on how to proceed needed. Plz read.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, Hi guys and galls.

I have had a dream for some time now.

The dream is as follows, and my needed advice is on how to make this happen as NON PROFIT. This is very important.

So here goes.

I want to open a computer resource for the nice ppl of my community that unfortunately don't have a budget for family pc/laptop.

So that is it in a nutshell. I just want to help under financed family units with nothing fancy pc's that just work in general, and this, in principle should help with, school chores and stuff.

My problem is, how do you go about this? Should I contact local mayor office and ask for a licenses of some sorts? Again, for this to be a dream, it must be non profit.

I am willing to pay out of pocket for a storage unit, which I hope will get paid for with non profit licenses, again, not sure if I am even making sense at this point.

I will refurbish/vetted the stuff I am giving away. But also, I want to vetted the ppl asking. There must be a way for this to be co-ordinated with local food and or clothes resources maybe?

The actual getting free stuff should in principal have a region in law language saying something to this effect. I am a non profit organization, any thing you give away is not tax refindable, here is the # of non profit org. THIS is where I think I need approval of local authorizes, and this is mostly where I need advice.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I was once homeless, in quebec an toronto, the local ppl helped me greatly.

Since then, I am back up on my feet, and wanted to give something back. This is what my brain found as a good idea. I had other ones, such as fixing cars for ppl in need, but just thinking about that gave me a headache in regards to location setup, how to finance that, and then I saw a video on line on a few programs for junk cars that get refurbished, if I may call it that? Cars and or soccer mom vans etc. Again, logistical nightmare for me as I am not an administrator at all. I just want to help my community, like it helped me.

So I figured I could use my other talents, such as pc building. For me it is a easy as pie thing.

Questions, should I source local schools? Local big companies for when they swap op systems? etc.

How does one get the ball rolling to getting non profit accreditation?

I found this for you usa guys, see following link.
https://www.501c3.org/how-to-start-a-501c3-nonprofit/

If anyone has successfully used this? https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs04970.html

If yes to above, what are the hurdles I should expect?

Thx for reading, this is a dream. So it doesn't have to happen yesterday.

Regards

Nick

Here's a problem...people would just give you their old computer, but "wiping the hard drive" requires effort and they don't want to do it, pay for it, or trust a stranger, so... the outdated or broken computer must be stored away for eternity.

I have done somewhat what you describe for years. I took all my friends old computers, reformat the HD, install the latest OS, add some free maintenance and virus stuff, fix whatever is shot with other old parts. This was mostly on desktops. Laptops are too proprietary to swap parts around on. Then I either gave them away or sold them really cheap to those in need.

Now I "think" most people want a tablet or smartphone or laptop and will not settle for a used desktop. So I pretty much quit doing it.

Don't let me discourage you, but I don't see much demand anymore for what you propose.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
^^^^ +1

The need for repair of 20-30 year old vehicles is near endless. There are vast numbers of people who can't afford anything remotely newer and just need basic transportation. Unfortunately those $1000 "beaters" still need to comply with safety and emissions testing, so people get really stuck. The Saturn forum I participate in routinely has sad stories of people getting sucked into pouring more money into them than they are worth.

Do high-schools still have auto shop classes? Doing this kind of "pro bono" work out of a school could provide you the facility and insulate you a bit from liability. A dis-satisfied client, and there will be some, would have to be attacking the school and the concept of teaching, not just you. Of course, you would also have the satisfaction of helping some young folks learn. In my area, students are required to do some kind of "public service project", so this could give them a way to hook up with a church or shelter and satisfy that requirement, too.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I thank you for the prompt responses.

As I said, just a dream. An idea of sorts.

Chalk that up to life experiences, and also what my sister is going through, and via that, direct family also. SO I guess, I get emotional, but it does not change my initial motivation which started to be a grain of corn a long while ago, lets say, a few corn seasons ago. It started with when I went up north to work and saw the hardship the inuit had to deal with.

Like I said, I have many ideas. But the main one that sticks, is I FEEL a need to do more.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Doing this kind of "pro bono" work out of a school could provide you the facility and insulate you a bit from liability. A dis-satisfied client, and there will be some, would have to be attacking the school and the concept of teaching, not just you.
I know sometimes my french gets in the way, but the above comment proved to me you understood the underlying concept of why I want it to be NON profit sponsored. That in essence should be my safety net in regards of the above comment. But this is me thinking in a perfect world.

That is why I asked if anybody had experience, and now I have answers to the aforementioned "hurdles" i may be looking at.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Now I "think" most people want a tablet or smartphone or laptop and will not settle for a used desktop.
Very true, but I find I have some quality there to, but again, times shifting fast.

Thing is, I was in a position once to do certain things most citizens do. I lost that ability with my own self making bad choices.

Anyway, just me bumping ideas. Nothing is impossible if it is a dream. Making thus is the challenge that pushes the envelope of what defines impossible. Yeah, I think no body wrote that before me, but Ghandi was sure close.

It does suck to be an atheist, I miss out on all the sunday gatherings.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Anyway, I have made up my mind, my old push cart pc with go to raffle.

At work, we are many there, some in more dire needs than me.

I just can't believe the shyte they shove on all our gods name on youtube or other.

Before I make more enimies, even atheists can do good in a community.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
When I was a kid, I have vivid memories of fathers of the neighborhood coming to my house to fix their own kids bikes and such. Late on, it became other fixing. I gravitated towards that. Not to come see my dad. me. I was very happy and felt self important I could do what others could not at a very young age. I got fuzzled when I met what some may call a gang life. For me it was not a gang. It was whit collar biker guys. Not what I would see on the news as such happens in the USA. But then, things changed. The LIFE got harder, the second guessing and looking back was just not worth the shyte life.

It is all I know, I used to say. Now I have a good job, all is good in my life, now my sister has to deal with this. I thought I paid for her futur sins, apparently not. Anyway, this is not a protion of my life I had planned out.

Again, thx, all other opinions are welcome, as I am lot letting this idea go. Prayers are always welcome, but those who pray, must know, I don't share the same beleife system, but I hugely respect it and live my life as though I did now a higher conciseness.

billr

wrench
Staff member
My perception is that you prefer doing the computer work as your "hobby" to broaden your skills and get some kind of break from your regular job. that is understandable, and my suggestion to do the car work may be unacceptable. However, I see a much greater chance for you to do good in the auto area, and for a long time to come. In the '70s it was TVs and radios that were becoming throw-away, now it is computers. Cars are headed that way, as I think you know, but have many more years to go.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yes bill, thx for corrective course. I know I could do greater good there as you write. I do have several ides for that. Such as what I am already doing in the mentoring dept, but it is not hitting the lower income homes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will report back tomorrow with a few ideas of what my local is offering, I am waiting of confirmation e-mails of what are the next liabilities to go talk in the local tech school, maybe have more say in who gets scholarships. But as you aptly wrote, this should be a very eye opening experiment into the vast system of how to help, but yet not get fu$ked.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
However, I see a much greater chance for you to do good in the auto area, and for a long time to come. In the '70s it was TVs and radios that were becoming throw-away, now it is computers. Cars are headed that way, as I think you know, but have many more years to go.
Very perceptive comment and has been taken under serious advisement. ;)