I hope this is right.... 2000 Monte Carlo SS

J

Jennifer

OK, the basics: I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS, V-6, 3.8 liter, 106,000 miles.

Among many other problems with this care, the one in question is: I bought the car used in 2004 when it had 60k miles on it. Sometime around May of '05 (somewhere around 75k miles) it began surging. It happens all the time... there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I can be going at a constant speed and it will happen or when I am accelerating. When I am in cruise, when I am out of cruise. There is not one specific speed that it happens at. When it happens, the RPM jump and fall, with the surge. Sometimes it's only a little bit, sometimes it's 1000 RPM's.

The remedy's: My boyfriend when this started is a mechanic. He thought it might be the transmission. He and his mechanic buddies changed the transmission fluid and gasket(s) since I had no idea if it had ever been done before. That did nothing. I have since taken my car to 4 mechanics, and the dealer. The dealer told me this was caused by a clogged throttle body and attempted to charge me $300 to fix it. I said no thanks and called my local mechanic. By 10/06 I had had enough of dealing with it and took it in. I told the local mechanic what the dealer said and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me he was pretty sure that was not what was wrong with it, but since my accelerator was hard to push sometimes, we decided to clean it. Had that repair. It took care of the sticking accelerator problem but not the surging problem.

The next fix was a complete tune up since it had 100k on it by this point. Air/fuel filters, oil change, plugs and wires and whatever else. No change.

Finally, we went for a drive, because (I think they thought I was crazy) nothing was working. Finally the mechanic saw what I was talking about. Back to the shop. Hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and it did not throw a single code. So we drove it again. When it started to surge, the mechanic down shifted into 3rd. That stopped it.

We got back to the shop and he discussed the issue with the other guys there. They seemed to be in agreement that it was the transmission and/or solenoid. They refereed me to another guy who did transmission work. I got to his shop and he hooked it up to a diagnostic machine. It did not throw a code. We took it for a drive. He agreed it might be a solenoid. Back to the shop. He hooked it up again and played with it for a bit. It finally threw a code that referenced the thermostat. They had no idea what to do. So they sent me to yet another mechanic. He drove my car. He told me, "I have bad news. There's nothing I can do. My wife had a 2000 Grand Prix and it did this very same thing. I couldn't figure it out, and the dealership couldn't figure it out. I know it's annoying, and it pisses you off, but its not hurting anything. This car will not leave you stranded; you can drive it until the wheels fall off but there's nothing to fix it,"

So I decided today, because I have had ENOUGH and want to know what is wrong, to do some extensive research. I ended up finding many people with this same problem but of the solutions they gave I've already had done. I ended up somewhere that gave TBS numbers. I found two that might have something to do with this problem. I don't know if I am supposed to include them here or not... I was a little confused on the protocol of that...
If I am allowed to post them, I have them.

If ANYONE can help me... I would greatly appreciate it. I'm ready to take a shot gun to engine and put us both out of our misery. :)

kev2

wrench
post the numbers you found BUT if they are from NHTSA they are likely useless. Also let us know any modifications add on or use of aftermarket parts....

I saw onlyy one vague TSB match 05-06-04-058, referenced a chuggle or fishbite??*- mentions often mistaken for a TCC problem, sounds like you had that diagnoises?? ......problem is with TPS.... to fast to throw a code or be seen on a tech II, your boyfriend sholud be able to get a copy of that. Answer above and hopefully someone else can add some.

*I do not know how to explain these terms.

jendianne1383

One of the codes is the one you mentioned and the other (also vague) is NHTSA item number 10010868, Bulletin No 3180. I'm pretty dumb in the car dept. so I will try to help you help me (Thank you, by the way). I do not know what a TSS is, but from the many websites I have read, the description of what is going on with my car seems to match the description of a "chuggle of fishbite."

There are no add-ons to the car, and as far as I know, no after market parts. Since I bought it in 2004, there have been no after market parts put in the car.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, ha!) I am no longer seeing him. So, he is of no help. However, I know the guys in the first mechanics shop (they do all the general maintenance on my car), so if you can tell me to tell them what they are looking for.... I will.... If that would be of any help.

kev2

wrench
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, revisions to repair procedures, suppliments to technical information OR information to aid the technician with repairs, meant for use by the the technicians and not for the general public.

<i>Unfortunately</i> I am computer challenged and cannot post the document,

Gus

wrench
The main thing is to drive the vehicle with a scan tool, to determine if the surge is engine related or transmission related....

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Here is the tsb Kev2 is talking about...Maybe you can have your mechanic check it....Jim........
Engine Controls - Intermittent Chuggle/No DTC's Set
Notes

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-058

Date: September 07, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Intermittent Chuggle or Fishbite on Light Acceleration or at Highway Speeds with No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) (Replace Throttle Position (TPS) Sensor)

Models:
1995-1999 Buick Riviera
1995-2004 Buick Regal
1995-2005 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue
1997-2005 Buick Century
1995-2001 Chevrolet Lumina
1995-2002 Chevrolet Camaro
1995-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala
1995-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Ninety Eight
1995-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
1995-2002 Pontiac Firebird
1995-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix
1995-2005 Pontiac Bonneville

with 3800 V6 Engine (VIN K - RPO L36)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent chuggle or fishbite on light acceleration or at steady-state highway speeds (typically 80-105 km/h [50-65 mph]) with no PCM DTCs set. This condition may lead the technician to suspect the TCC circuit or torque converter.

Cause

This condition may be caused by intermittent operation of the Throttle Position (TPS) Sensor.

Correction

In observed cases, the Tech 2(R) is not fast enough to consistently detect this condition during a snapshot. It is recommended to use a DVOM set to the min/max recording mode. Connect the DVOM at the TPS connector (positive lead to TPS feedback signal pin and negative lead to TPS ground pin). Duplicate this condition by driving the vehicle. If the voltage dropout (less than 0.45 v) is recorded on the DVOM, replace the TPS sensor and re-evaluate the vehicle before continuing with other driveability or transmission diagnosis.

jendianne1383

AH!!! You are awesome!!!

I am a law student... about to go into final exams. So it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get home and can get my guys to look at this. But AS SOON as I know something, I will post.

Thank you SO much!!!

Transman

Receptionist &amp; Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You know... If more people posted with this kind of information describing their problem and what they have done to correct it. We could do one hell of a job in diagnosis! Good Job! Well done! Transman

jendianne1383

haha... that could be because they haven't been living with this problem for two years, shelling out money to fix it, while living on student loans!!

Transman

Receptionist &amp; Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Honestly, We usually get "my car stalls out what part is bad?" No car make or model, forget engine size or any maintenance. They never tell you they just put in an aftermarket crapo radio and hooked power from an o2 sensor which freaks out the computer. Sigh! Thank you for the breath of fresh air! I am not trying to be down on everyone or even anyone it is just refreshing to have the info posted all in one place. Thanks again, Transman

jendianne1383

No problem, and thank YOU for so much help. As soon as I am able to get an opinion, I will post with the results.

And speaking of computer problems... ever heard of the outside temp. display going nutso? It's not hurting anything, so I'm not really worried about it, but it would be nice to be able to fix. (I'm talking about the display that tells direction, temp, mpg, miles until empty, ect.). I read somewhere that it is something wrong with a ground (?) but mine isn't staying at one temp. It ranges. My personal favorite is the day that it read -06 degrees (ice) when it was the middle of July and 115 outside.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Doesn't it have a calibration test you can run on it?..Sounds like it might have a bad ground circuit for the air temperature or a bad sensor..You have to have that working right....you might freeze to death when it's 90 degrees outside........LOL.....Jim