Make
Ford
Model
Mustang
Year
Miles
Engine
V6
Can anybody confirm for me if this vehicle has a chip/transponder key. Key and tumbler need replaced, I have found keys and tumbler in local auto parts store and online but am getting inconsistent information on whether the keys need programmed. Currently there is only one original key so If programming is needed I will need to have it done by dealer or locksmith? Thanks in advance.

Yeah might come to that, I am told beginning in 2000 all mustangs had had transponder in key. This car is 10/99 on vin tag, might have call dealer with vin to verify. Also thinking about buying non transponder keys and tumbler from rockauto, it’s cheap, and cutting transponder out of original key and glueing it inside column near receiver.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I think in 2000, they were using ROTUNDA chips/programming. SO very easy to bypass.

Some how I feel the nee to say this, but I have stolen a few luxery cars in my life, but all with the approbation of the ppl involved. It is part of the game when you play with nice toys. But when you get to understand you can make this shyte for 15$ on e bay stuff, it kind of hits home that our car makers are behind the eight ball on 4g and wired multiplex systems. ANd now with fiber optics and 5 g, that is going to be fun on aprils fools day. Any idiot with a internet connection a a few gadgets from china on e bay can steal anything.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The new rotunda kit is going for over 5 grand here in upper canada.

You can do all that with a clone VCM2. You don't need a ARMY corps tuffbook to do the programming job. You just need an interface and proper software and reliable internet connection. Preferably high. I have been cooking a few newer pcms lately, and the bandwidth is noticeably getting faster and the PCM/TCM's etc evovle with the g netowrks and the fiber optics. The "NEW" scope we got at work before "THIS" christmas is already out of date. Imagine that.

Doing an oil change and a brake change on a new beemer is getting long. It is actually longer to log into the car personal computer settings than to actually change 2 rotors and pads up front and lube the back so they can follow the front. The last high end car I scanned before last week was a 3.0lt jag. The time it took for my autel to actually interrogate all the modules, I had time to go wash my hands, pee, then procceed to coffee two creams two sugars and when I got back, "still interogating". Ennded up worse than the last caddy with 56 modules on board.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Cheap vcm here.

The thing you need to know here is that this old system needed three reference points, much like the GM and mopar sytems of that era. So the cluster, the theft control module and the pcm need to hand shake. In all cases of the three big here in north america, that is how it rolled in the 2000's.

Using the IDS software, it is a breeze. That is if you get a VALID clone. PATS key programming was not only used in fords. SO the principle is the same. I could show you how to resistor in something with a cap and a diode, but ford went a different way, with all the button pressing and all.

It is just better to clone a ford than try to beat it.

That was my $.02. $.02

BTW, I truly hate fords. They do not have the true grease monkey in heart. They have great trouble shoots, engineer great stuff, but when it comes to fixing something, have to remove ENGINE.

I have been working in this trade since the early mid 90`s. Every f ing book I saw from ford or the newer net stuff, when you want to go deep, no place for fat hands of old times. Remove goddamn engine just to get to spark plugs or glow plugs.