eddieguy

Make
Toyota
Model
Rav4
Year
Miles
Engine
sometimes the ignition key will turn sometimes it won't even when it does not turn if I take the key out and keep reinserting it it will eventually turn. I called a locksmith and they said that they could start by making a new key for $18 and I could see how it went from there the key does not look to be chipped to me I have taken photos so that possibly by looking at these pictures you can help me determine whether it is chipped or not if it is not chipped I can start with the $18 thing first. The black part of the key says 35R on one side and Axccess on the other side which seems generic to me and possibly another sign that it is not a chipped key. also if I recall correctly the locksmith over the phone mentioned something about these Toyota's having something that he referred to as a split system in the tumblers to where they might turm some but miss one. so I guess my questions here are one do y'all think there's much possibility in a new key turning and can you gather from the pictures of whether I'm correct in thinking that it is a non chipped key thanks for any responses in advance

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Dang it eddie, you always write in chunks and it hard for me to follow.

Ok, first off, that car does not have a theft deterrent key (so no chip in that key), so getting a new one cut shouldn't be a problem.

However, you three pictures where not clear enough for me to zoom in on to see if any type of wear. I could however determine it was a locksmith key and not an oem key. If this is the only key available, I would buy a cylinder with keys matched, such as I will link to below.

My advice would be to go ebay or amaz-one and buy a key cylinder with matching keys. I did a quick search and found a kit on amazone for 50 bucks, but not sure if it fit a rav4, cuz I checked one of the reviews, then read on, and most said it was for tacoma, but from what I remember back then, the tacoma and rav4 shared same steering. But I would like for you to do your own research on that and/or contact dorman directly, I know for a fact they have a kit for you.

Here are links.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also of note, I do not work for dorman but I do endorse their products cuz I install them kits and much more from them all the time. So I fully endorse the dorman company. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they dont have a direct fit kit for your car for around 50 bucks.

Here is their tech help line. You can buy thier kit for your rav4 and if you have any problem call the help line.

1-800-868-5777 ext. 5330

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hmm, what does endorsing really mean?

en·dorse
/inˈdôrs,enˈdôrs/
Learn to pronounce
verb
verb: endorse; 3rd person present: endorses; past tense: endorsed; past participle: endorsed; gerund or present participle: endorsing; verb: indorse; 3rd person present: indorses; past tense: indorsed; past participle: indorsed; gerund or present participle: indorsing

declare one's public approval or support of.
"the report was endorsed by the college"
recommend (a product) in an advertisement.
h
Similar:
support

back
approve (of)
be in agreement with
favor
recommend
advocate
champion
subscribe to
uphold
affirm
confirm
authorize
authenticate
ratify
sanction
warrant
throw one's weight behind
stick up for

h
Opposite:
oppose

sign (a check or bill of exchange) on the back to make it payable to someone other than the stated payee or to accept responsibility for paying it.

Ok, I checked that out and will have to retract my endorsement since I am not a public body.

However, the automotive industry as a whole, which includes my class A arse likes the company and the stuff they provide.

Ok, that was my trump biden debate with myself.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do the door locks use the same key? If it works OK in them, then just getting a new key probably won't be a sure cure. Also, getting a new cylinder with its own new key will be a bit of a nuisance; needing one for the doors and the other for ignition.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I know bill, but knowing eddie, that is probably the only key left, and it was a cut key. SO he may need to live with a door key and a ignition key, like the old gms and jeeps/amc.

Sorry eddie, but after a few yrs, I kinda know who you are. Dont take my comment personal plz. ;)

eddieguy

I know bill, but knowing eddie, that is probably the only key left, and it was a cut key. SO he may need to live with a door key and a ignition key, like the old gms and jeeps/amc.

Sorry eddie, but after a few yrs, I kinda know who you are. Dont take my comment personal plz. ;)
[/QU I bought this vehicle second hand at a car lot so I know nothing about the history of the vehicle or the keys there was only one key given to me when I purchased it

eddieguy

Do the door locks use the same key? If it works OK in them, then just getting a new key probably won't be a sure cure. Also, getting a new cylinder with its own new key will be a bit of a nuisance; needing one for the doors and the other for ignition.
[/ yes billr what you have stated is exactly what I was thinking I was trying to avoid a situation where I would have to have the two keys one for the door locks and one for the ignition if what you're stating is true I believe the key turns the locks on the doors okay so if that's the case then I figured I would be in the situation you just stated

eddieguy

Dang it eddie, you always write in chunks and it hard for me to follow.

Ok, first off, that car does not have a theft deterrent key (so no chip in that key), so getting a new one cut shouldn't be a problem.

However, you three pictures where not clear enough for me to zoom in on to see if any type of wear. I could however determine it was a locksmith key and not an oem key. If this is the only key available, I would buy a cylinder with keys matched, such as I will link to below.

My advice would be to go ebay or amaz-one and buy a key cylinder with matching keys. I did a quick search and found a kit on amazone for 50 bucks, but not sure if it fit a rav4, cuz I checked one of the reviews, then read on, and most said it was for tacoma, but from what I remember back then, the tacoma and rav4 shared same steering. But I would like for you to do your own research on that and/or contact dorman directly, I know for a fact they have a kit for you.

Here are links.

Nickb2 I don't really like my chunky style of writing either to be honest it's the only way I know unfortunately I thought it might be worth $18 to get another key cut since it doesn't seem to me the one with a chip I thought it might be worth it to try and see what would happen. however if what billr just stated ends up being true and it seems the key will turn the locks on the doors okay then the new cut key probably isn't going to do any good

eddieguy

I'm going to try again and use the key in the door locks just to make sure they do turn okay with that key

NickD

wrench
The pin tumbler lock is a lock mechanism that uses pins of varying lengths to prevent the lock from opening without the correct key. With the correct key inserted tumbler pins must be in line so the key can rotate the tumbler holder in its cylinder.

So is the teeth on the key worn or are the tumblers lock, just held in each has a tiny coil spring that may also be broken. Haven't found an ignition lock that cannot be opened for inspection and you can see the problem. Otherwise just guessing.

Dealers just want to replace this ignition switch, but then you have an extra key to carry. Yet another problem that you may have, the steering wheel lock is preventing you from turning your key. Really a bad anti-thief device, most I have seen are made of cheap pot metal. If locked when the wheels were not straight on a crowned road, that puts side pressure. With some have to be Superman to rotate the steering wheel to take the stress off that lock.

Another is parking diagonally where the vehicle rolls with the right wheel hitting a curb. Idiots that came up with this never thought about the possibilities. Anti-thief devices do a far better job keeping the rightful own from starting their vehicles.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@eddie, me too, sometimes translating from french canadian bacon to usa is hard. Especially when I encounter texas similar ppl, they speak weird. Cant make a word out of it and have to ask repeatedly to slow down the lingo.

eddieguy

shyte I missed you. You dont post as often. Slowing is good. ;)
I appreciate all of you that share your time and expertise on this site
Nickb2 you crack me up because no matter what the subject you have plenty to say about it but there's nothing wrong with that I think it's cool I'll read your postings even if they're totally non-related to my problem just to see what you got to say lol