ignition key does not always want to turn

eddieguy

Problem fixed. A local lock smith shop cut me a new key according to the original specs and its turning every try.

"The Lock Doctor" as the shop is called told me if the key didnt work and i could remove the lock cylinder and bring it to them they could remove the messed up wafers for $30. The vehicle I guess would lose some of its anti theft deterrent ability but I'm not too concerned about it on a 2003 Toyota. They showed me a pic of what the wafers look like.

Attachments

NickD

wrench
I use my locksmith as opposed to the local hardware store he charges 3 bucks as opposed to 65 cents at the hardware store. Has a computer, plugs in the VIN to make an exact replica of the original. Ha, since the VIN is clearing under the windshield tease me he can drive any car he wants to.

Haven't seen him lately but this new crap requires a laser tool to form a key with the teeth on the inside of the grove. Said that tool cost around 12000 bucks, have to cut a lot of keys just to pay for the darn thing.

Other way to get a key is from your dealer, may have to wait a couple of months, and will cost more than a couple of bucks.

But he already screwed you when you purchased your vehicle, LOL, give him a chance to screw you again.

Cutting key on some vehicles is not enough, has to be programmed, some cars open and closed the driver's door ten times, others, insert the key in the lock with your toe while standing on your head singing the Star Spangled Banner.

NickD

wrench
I use my locksmith as opposed to the local hardware store he charges 3 bucks as opposed to 65 cents at the hardware store. Has a computer, plugs in the VIN to make an exact replica of the original. Ha, since the VIN is clearing under the windshield tease me he can drive any car he wants to.

Haven't seen him lately but this new crap requires a laser tool to form a key with the teeth on the inside of the grove. Said that tool cost around 12000 bucks, have to cut a lot of keys just to pay for the darn thing.

Other way to get a key is from your dealer, may have to wait a couple of months, and will cost more than a couple of bucks.

But he already screwed you when you purchased your vehicle, LOL, give him a chance to screw you again.

Cutting key on some vehicles is not enough, has to be programmed, some cars open and closed the driver's door ten times, others, insert the key in the lock with your toe while standing on your head singing the Star Spangled Banner.
Oh with these new keys, with that slot if crap gets in there, won't work, so you may have to clean it with your toothbrush and toothpaste.