Impala turn signal problem

CEB

Car: 2001 Chev Impala 3. 4 v-6

My turn signals (both sides) will go out at random and then come back on. Sometimes they won't work for a couple of days and then will come back on again. Sometimes they will quit and then come back on the same day.

When they don't work it is always both sides and also the emergency flashers won't work too. The turn indicator (s) on dash won't light up either. The brake and tail lights, etc. all work fine.

Could it be the switch or would it be something else?

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This one may be a bit beyond your scope, the BCM controls the system. Even the flasher is part of the multifunction switch. Someone who can get to the BCM, can get codes & data. You are most likely going to need a good, honest repair facility for this one. Good luck, Transman

Gus

wrench
Transman, I don't see that....

No BCM involvement and the flasher in not part of the multifunction switch....

When the turn signal doesn't work, leave it in the left or right position....now, repeatedly push the hazard switch in the middle of your I/P panel....if the directionals start to work, you need a new Hazard switch...

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The hazard switch is part of the multifunction switch. Shopkey component locator states the flasher is part of the multifunction switch also. The BCM is involved, maybe not in the active sense but it turns on relays that are necessary for the turn signals, tail lights, headlights etc. I just wanted CEB to know that it might not be that simple AND since he will be in close proximity to the air bag certain precautions MUST be followed. This repair can be very serious and a professional might be the best recommendation, Transman

Gus

wrench
Transman, I don't see that in GM wiring diagrams....the hazard switch, which contains the electronic flashing mechanism, is in the center of the dash, not part of the multifunction switch....

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You guys got it! In the mitchell diagrams, the hazard switch is part of the multifunction on top. Even the wiring diagram shows it as part of the switch. Alldata clearly shows the hazard switch in the dash as you said. OK read my tagline, lol. Transman