Instrument cluster lights up but none of the gauges move

grcauto

"Pulling the network down" is anything that keeps the network from communicating. An open or short or a module that has something causing it to lose connection to the network. This would be intermittent due to cold solder joint, ground, loose wire or connection at a splice or block. You discovered what is pulling your network down when you seen the cluster working and you had communication with the network then the cluster not working and no communication. It's hitting you in the head so hard you can;t see it.

Chaud

I am sorry it upset you for not agreeing with you. But I will find out what really was the problem and report back. Thanks
Chaud

grcauto

I am sorry it upset you for not agreeing with you. But I will find out what really was the problem and report back. Thanks
Chaud
I don't mean to be short with you but it seems I'm not able to get through. I'm sorry you don't understand how the cluster is the problem but IT IS the problem.

Chaud

grcauto, You are amazing and I admire your conviction and knowledge that problem is in the instrument cluster. As you suggested I pulled the cluster out but there were only two plugs attached behind it and not individual plugs for each measurement gauge. So I pulled one plug out and problem stays. Put this plug back and pulled the 2nd one out and problem stays. Next I disassembled the cluster and looked at the stepper motor's 4 soldered contacts on PCB coming out of heat gauge. Heat gauge needle was the only needle slightly flickering and rests were solid zero when cluster not working. Thinking this shaking is due to the open ground either by open capacitor or resistor, I used a 110 ohms resistor and soldered across it to provide a safe path to the ground. Assembled the cluster back and put back in the car. I started the car and found Fuel and Tachometer needle started working right away and speed and heat while driving. This shows problem is fixed without spending a dime. I like to thank especially grqauto and all the others members who helped me in solving this problem. Thank you again
Chaud

grcauto

grcauto, You are amazing and I admire your conviction and knowledge that problem is in the instrument cluster. As you suggested I pulled the cluster out but there were only two plugs attached behind it and not individual plugs for each measurement gauge. So I pulled one plug out and problem stays. Put this plug back and pulled the 2nd one out and problem stays. Next I disassembled the cluster and looked at the stepper motor's 4 soldered contacts on PCB coming out of heat gauge. Heat gauge needle was the only needle slightly flickering and rests were solid zero when cluster not working. Thinking this shaking is due to the open ground either by open capacitor or resistor, I used a 110 ohms resistor and soldered across it to provide a safe path to the ground. Assembled the cluster back and put back in the car. I started the car and found Fuel and Tachometer needle started working right away and speed and heat while driving. This shows problem is fixed without spending a dime. I like to thank especially grqauto and all the others members who helped me in solving this problem. Thank you again
Chaud
I'm just glad you followed through on going after the cluster. These types of problems are a bit confusing until you see them repeated over time. It's mainly experience that told me where the problem was. Now that you have this experience you are not likely to forget the lesson. This can be taken to other such problems as well. When you have an issue where your comms are down, cannot communicate with the scanner. Start unplugging modules and when you unplug one and the scanner will communicate you know there's a problem with that module.