JP

Make
Chevy
Model
Equinox
Year
Miles
Engine
And here I thought I was good for a while not having anything to diagnose or fix on my cars...

51K miles, just a baby. Have been experiencing a rare intermittent stumble at idle, mild as to almost not notice it over the last several months then to the point of threatening to stall at idle yesterday. Seems to happen with a warm or cold engine, doesn't matter. When it does happen, it's happened only once on my short 10 mile trips to and from work, not multiple times or when at idle at multiple stops for traffic lights on the drive. No loss in power, no hesitation, nothing else.

Of course, no codes set. :rolleyes:

Other than looking for obvious wire cracks, ignition module damage, etc....any common problems with this engine that I should be looking for?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Understand, I am NOT saying I know your problem; but it is intriguing because I had the exact same symptoms with a '94 Saturn!

It finally progressed to an occasional "crank but no fire" condition, so I could catch it in the act and diagnose. It turned out to be the PCM, the 5V supply in it was flaky.

JackC

wrench
Another "guess" is the EGR valve intermittently being open at idle. If your engine has an EGR valve easy to get to, I would temporarily remove it, make a plate to block off the valve from the manifold and test run for a while. If you never have the problem with the plate installed, you have found a bad EGR valve.. I usually make the plate out of the aluminum sides of a soda can. Relatively easy , no cost diagnosis.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi JP

do you have access to a data recorder, if so, find mode six, data log, and you may see it there

I have been fortunate to study under this guy once or twice in real time, he is awesome for this type of solution