eddieguy

Make
Toyota
Model
Rav4
Year
Miles
Engine
Drivers side power window wants to stoo on the way up and even come down some after upward motion stops.. theres no stopping when switch is pressed down. I have about a 15 sec video showing a gap between window and frame didnt know if i could post video here. Question was is it most likely that the window regulator assembly would need to be replaced or if there was any chance of making some sort of adjustment with the one i got. I figure im going to be told i need to remove the trim panel for a look and thats ok just trying to find out if there is ever anything that can be done sometimes that does not call for a window regulator assembly replacement

billr

wrench
Staff member
Probably not any simple adjustment, but maybe not replacement of regulator assembly. There are several places where windows and their operating mechanism can bind. You will need to open the door up and do some inspection.

JackC

wrench
Yes, remove the door panel. Sometimes a bolt or rivet is loose. Of course you can lub tracks and joints with panel off. . Regulator levers could be bent. Switch could have poor contacts (bypass the switch to check that). You will find it. New reg & motor $50-90.

eddieguy

Oh ok thanks. Maybe the guy at the auto parts store was in error or missunderstood me because he gave me a much higher quote for thise parts. I did have a little tool for removing those plastic tabs on trim panels didnt know if it really helped in keeping from breaking those little plastic tabs or not

NickD

wrench
Windows have that outside on the top of the door weather strip that dries up letting rain or car wash water pour down over the window raising mechanism. Also have drain holes in the bottom of the door, if those plug up, water stays in there, worse if splashed road salt gets in there, the bottom of the door rusts out.

If you open your door when it raining water will get in all those so-called door arm rest where all those switches are located, none are water proof and water gets in there to corrode, never open your doors when its raining. Thin piece of plastic protects the speakers, over time that may crack.

Cars use to used rain gutters to help protect the doors, they don't do this anymore, vehicles lasted to long affecting trading in for new ones.

Time to trade it in. Could find tin coated steel throwaway cans in my ditch that even after exposed to road salt look brand new. Just saying throwaway cans are made far superior to that thing that cost you both arms and legs.