Jasper transmission defective.

CHAS1

I was posting on the Reatta board but they suggested I post on this board for some assistance since their is a Transmission expert on this forum. Had a Jasper transmission installed in my 1989 Buick Riviera. It was done according to their requirements. Drove car home about 7 miles at that time it started to bang when moved from neutral to drive. Drove back to my buick dealer where the tech checked pressures vacume and all cables everything was ok also checked temperature of transmission. The Buick Tech who is a transmission Tech called Tech Services where the tech did everything he was told including checking temperature of transmission fluid. The tech at Jasper agreed something was wrong with the transmission and advised they would ship another transmission and pay for R&R. Second transmission arrives and installed according to Jasper instructions (Flow rate verified thru cooler and documented) The dealer would not release the car because the second transmission was banging going into Reverse. Once again the Tech people at Jasper were contacted. They wanted the FIRST transmission back for testing. They got it back and Dyno tested it and could find nothing wrong. Now they are saying the dealer will not get paid for the second R&R. Now the dealer gets their legal people involved and Jasper claims that they will install new bands in the FIRST transmission (something to bo with a TSB on these cars) The FIRST transmission is on its way back and I believe Jasper has agreed to pay for all the work and fluids being used. Hope this one works. GM SERTA no longer makes transmissions for this car as the part number is listed as NLA therefore I went with Jasper. According to the GM Tech working on my car the Vacume is great! and the problem is not the car. This is my first post on this board. It comes highly recommended. I am hoping for some good recommendations to get my 1989 Riviera back on the road with a FIRST class transmission in it. It is not unsual to take this car on a 1K mile trip.
Thanks
Charlie

CHAS1

I am new to this board and I do not know how to modify my Post about the problems with my Jasper transmission. I wanted to add the following that was offered by a local transmission re builder.
He advised to remove the Small inexpensive Modulator that Jasper uses on their transmissions and install one of the large Gray ones that GM used as OEM. Well I located one for $120. and the tech at the Buick dealer tried it with no change this transmission is still Banging going into Reverse. The original Jasper transmission that Banged going into Drive is being modified at the factory to change the Bands to a improved type and hopefully will be returned next week.
My Buick Dealer has raised this issue to the Senior Management at Jasper. Hope to have another transmission installed next week.
Will advise results BUT I would appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks
Charlie

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Not much advise to give here, looks like it's being handled as required. The modulator could be part of the equation but not part of the problem. The modulator boosts pressures across the board, not just reverse. There is a reverse boost valve inside the valve body that could be sticking. I assume the cooler lines were flushed, not just blown out, from the original install. The throttle cable might be out of adjustment but that also raises pressures across the board but this would have been my first area to check. The cables were known for fraying & sticking causing erratic pressures. Jasper makes a decent unit and their tech people are pretty good too. I have never heard of them backing off or refusing to pay after they authorized it, even if nothing is wrong with the trans. I also believe the "Scovell" modulator (small, adjustable) is the better of the modulators being offered. They might check to make sure it is the correct one for the trans, there are 2 different mods. One has a plunger that sticks out of the end that goes into the trans and the other does not. The usage depends on the modulator valve as to which modulator belongs there and they can be mixed up. Post back with updates or questions, Transman

CHAS1

OK I picked up the 1989 Riviera today with the THIRD transmission. The Neutral Drive engagement is much improved. The Neutral Reverse is perfect. The shifts are all perfect the lock up and Overdrive are perfect On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best I would rate this transmission a 4. Not as good as the SERTA when it was installed in 1997. The tech advised it may improve in time as the clutches absorb fluid and things break in. He was familiar with a specific TSB involving Harsh Engagement on these transmissions involving clutch material. I went into ALLDATA and printed out the TSB's for this transmission and compared it to the ones Jasper has posted on their website and Jasper does not even come close to the number of TSB's to bring this transmission up to date. I do a lot of business with this Buick Dealer and visit them on a regular basis I will be interested in seeing if they get paid for all this extra work and fluids. If I had it to do over I think I would have rather had my old transmission rebuilt by this Tech who seems to know what he was doing the Jasper warranty was the reason I decided to go with Jasper. People with these old cars are going to have some decisions to make once their transmissions let go.
In any event I wanted to share my experiences for the benefit of others NOT bashing Jasper. They were good but if they had a field rep. it may have been easier.
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
They do have field reps and am surprised they didn't hand him over to you but it seems the problem has been repaired. I would be concerned though that the cable is properly adjusted, it is very sensitive to proper adjustment as well as the modulator. If either of these items are not to spec then you will have ackward shift points & shift feel concerns no matter how well the trans is assembled. Transman
P.S. I wouldn't concern myself on the amount of updates inside the trans, several updates superseeded meaning fewer number but technically more updates.

CHAS1

Ok I got about 100Mi on the 3rd Transmission and now I have complete Break Away (Slippage) on the 2 3 shift. Back to Dealer tomorrow. If indeed they have Field Technical Reps This may be time for one to pay a visit. Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Charlie

CHAS1

Jasper tech services is requesting a line pressure test and a vacume test at highway speeds while problem is occuring. I think they are doing everything possiable.
Their may be a FIFTH transmission in my future.
I believe the dealer was paid for all the other work $1444. 00
Will advise
Charlie

CHAS1

Just picked up car today. All test results were given to Jasper technical services via a conference call. They tested vacum and fluid pressure at various road speeds and gave to Jasper. It appears the car has been eliminated as any source of problem. The next transmission has to be authorized by the President of Jasper.
During the conference call the people in Indiana advised they DO NOT have field Technical service reps. My tech at the buick dealer is going on vacation for a week therefore I elected to drive the car home and store in my garage. About 5 miles. The 2-3 shift is almost done therefore I just ran in 2 so it would not shift to 3.
THE ONE QUESTION I HAVE FOR the Transman is . . . Do these transmissions have a shelf life after they are Rebuilt/Remanfactured.
Will advise
Charlie

CHAS1

Jasper wants the transmission in the car now returned. (3rd gear almost gone) They will provide a shipping container and will ship back to Jasper Indiana on their house truck. My tech returns from vacation on the 26th. It will be his first job to remove it again. The Dealer has extra tool to hold motor while transmission is out of the car and a vacant space in the shop while this takes place.
This experience is enough to make one sick!
They should install a ZIPPER on it!
Will advise.
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
To answer your question, sorry for the delay, no. There is no real shelf life problem on these units other then they have to be rebuilt correctly in the first place. I am very surprised on the amout of problems you are having with this one. A zipper attachment would be helpful but I have faith they will get it right. Keep us posted, Transman

jay

It will be interesting to see what is finally discovered to be the problem.
I wonder if the defect will be traced back to an individual builder or a problem with a defective part?

Jasper has a good reputation and I know they are scratching their collective heads as well over this.

CHAS1

I will keep you advised. I know Jasper is good. Just think I had some bad luck. Funny the Transmission that is in the car now is my original transmission that was rebuilt as number THREE. This is a bit confusing BUT this is what Jasper advised.
I am not bashing Jasper BUT looking for solutions. Fortunately I have a fantastic dealer with the resources to put into this project until complete. $ $ $ $
Once again they need to be paid for all the work and supplies. (ATF ect. used).
I have marked this transmission just to see that it is the one returned.
I took the car around the block and THIRD gear is completely gone. Do not want to BURN it up to the point where things are contaminated therefore will let sit until Thursday when I can get it back to dealer in 2.
Will Advise
Charlie

CHAS1

The Transmission is now in the hands of Jasper. Hope to have a answer the week after the 4th of July. Dealer was paid $1444.00 for extra work and supplies. This type of work could be a real burder for a small garage waiting for the money after putting in all this work. I will post the conclusion next week.
Hope for the best. This started the beginning of May.
Charlie