Jasper transmission defective.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Wonderful news! Yes, the 10 day check is a thoughtful formality. We already know if something bad happens that you will take it right back. This is a check for fine tuning and slight drips. Keep us posted, Transman

CHAS1

OK Transman here is the scoop on the check up. The BOSS/TRANS BUILDER went for a ride after we checked for leaks their were (NONE).
I told him I was still concerned about that 2-3 shift.
He did a complete about face on the Larger Modulator compared to the small adjustable. We spent about 1 hour on the road adjusting the TV cable and adjusting the Modulator until he was satisfied. This guy is good and very through in what he does so I was not about to challenge his change of position on the smaller Modulator. It feels really good right now. I have a 12 12 warranty BUT I almost always put the car away in the winter and only drive it on nice days! Therefore I may extend it in October for 3 36 for $400 or Lifetime for $700. Lifetime requires a annual inspection and fluid change at his AAMCO facility.
This Jasper mess caused us to miss almost ever Car show this Spring and Summer. I am leaning towards the lifetime.
The problem with Jasper is the dealer is doing the R&R and Jasper is in Indiana trying to diagnose the problem. In this case the REBUILDER is the guy I am talking with and making the adjustments. Transman I really have appreciated your input during this nightmare.
Thank You
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
As always, I am happy to have been able to help. Thanks for all the updates AND I am happier that he put the smaller modulator on the car, It has always been much more responsive for my units. I can fine tune them closer with the smaller mods. Transman

CHAS1

Transman..One slight problem has developed with my 1989 Riviera 44T4 after about a thousand miles. Not a big deal but would like your thoughts.
Cruising at 50 or 60 MPH must below 70. I am in 4th gear with TCC locked up. You floor it and the 4 2 downshift has a bang that can be felt throughout the entire car. If you get it to 70 or above it becomes a 4 3 downshift that is very smooth.
Once again your thoughts are appreciated.
I have the option of various extended warranty options until next August
Thanks
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
My first thought would be to adjust the TV cable, this controls timing of shifts. Very critical adjustment, be Aware of starting point. Probably 1 or 2 little clicks toward the throttle will do the trick. If you ended up with the aftermarket modulator then I would adjust the screw out, Keep track of starting position, about one full turn. Be aware this will change the pressures of ALL shifts so always check normal shifts and very light throttle shifts for too soft or slipping after every adjustment. You can always bring it back to original if you go too far, even if the little screw comes out of the bore. Post results, Transman
P.S. "Big Bang" under any driving conditions is unacceptable, Hard & Firm are OK but Bang is NDG (No Damn Good)

CHAS1

He wants to adjust TV Cable and leave the modulator alone for now. A shift from 4 to 2 at 65 Mph with the TCC locked up is radical (BANG). I would like to see it shift from 4 to 3 at that speed. I did not have the car with me and I do not want to mess with it. He will adjust tomorrow and I will advise results. Thanks again
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Nothing wrong in being prudent. As I stated before, cable controls timing of shift and modulator controls strength. I would probably do both but one at a time and road test to confirm results. Keep us informed, Transman

CHAS1

Just spent a lot of time driving interstate 95 testing downshifts. Bottom line was 2 clicks on TV cable and it is fixed. No need to mess with Modulator pressure according to him. City driving is good as well!
Once again
THANK YOU
Charlie

CHAS1

My old time transmission re builder is retiring right after the first of the year. This is making me think that I may not want to extend the transmission warranty. It will be covered by the AAMCO franchise that he has sold BUT "HE" is the key to a quality rebuild.
My question for Transman is what type of service would he recommend on a rebuilt transmission that is now running as good as new? And I do not purchase a extended warranty.
I have read that some recommended changing the filter and just the fluid in the transmission pan after 5K. Others have suggested not to do anything for 50 or 100K. As information AAMCO does a fluid exchange every year as part of their lifetime warranty BUT does not drop the pan unless their is a problem.
I have a supply of Dex III for the future use.
Your thoughts appreciated!
Thanks again!
Charlie

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I highly recommend annual servicing WITH pan drop & filter. At least every 6 months or so, check the vacuum modulator for fluid inside the vacuum line. AS LONG AS THE CABLE IS KEPT PROPERLY ADJUSTED AND NO MODULATOR PROBLEMS, this trans will give you a very healthy service life. I agree about NOT purchasing the extended warranty, even though they will be responsible for repairs, the MAN is the factor. If he or his replacement is not capable of proper adjustments and repairs then the best to be expected is a revolving door of "it's broke" from you to their "it's working the way it's supposed to" from them. Keep us informed of progress & problems, Transman